Speaker Cab Recomendation

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnb1kr

Reaction score
I'm playing a DC-3 Combo. I've read that a closed back 1x12 cabinet may give me a better bottom end for palm muting and chugging rhythms. I'm not into Nu-Metal more classic metal, UFO, Priest, pre-load Metallica. I'd like a Boogie cab to match but unless I get a deal funds may limit to some off brand. $200ish may be my limit now, I just bought a new guitar. Suggestions?

Try using both the combo speaker and a closed cab, plugging each into the 4ohm speaker outs. You'll get the best of both worlds, and you can use mic volume and eq to emphasize one cab over the other.

If you want to keep the closed cab fairly clean and the bottom end tighter, use a high wattage speaker. If you want more speaker breakup, keep its wattage lower.

mtnb1kr,

Try finding a used Mesa Thiele cabinet with an EVM12L. You can't buy that combination new from Mesa anymore because the EVM12L is no longer offered. From a price point used is going to be the way to go anyway.

The EVM12L is very tight and accurate.

chedgeco... 8)

What is the advantage of the theile cab? There's a guy on e-bay offering a hand built theile style that he will sell unloaded or loaded with your choice. I believe it is carpet covered rather than tolex but claimes to build them to boogie specs.

What is the advantage of the theile cab?

The Mesa Thiele cabinet is a closed back ported front cab. Some have compared the thump and bass response of this cab to a 4x12. I'm not sure I would go that far because it's much more directional than a 4x12. I use two of these in my stereo rig and it will shake the floor with crunch rhythms.

Check the Harmony Central reviews:
http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data/Mesa_Boogie/Thiele_EVM_112_Cabinet-01.html

chedgeco... 8)

I agree with chedgeco. A Thiele cab loaded with an EVM-12L is a great cab. I also use a pair of these in my stereo rig and they are excellent.

I have two as well, and they are awesome! They are beam like, so I sometimes angle them to spread the sound. They have huge bottom, but retain clarity. The thiele and an EV is definitely the way to go.
ax. :twisted:

I can confirm that, too, because I built one with an EV 12L and play it at home now. :) It can also be used as a small stage monitor, because I added an EV tweeter which I turn to zero when using it with the Mark IIB. Another important thing besides the excellent bass response is the sheer loudness of that cabinet which can compete with a 4x12" Marshall box.

Try using both the combo speaker and a closed cab, plugging each into the 4ohm speaker outs. You'll get the best of both worlds, and you can use mic volume and eq to emphasize one cab over the other.

What do you mean by mic volume to balance the cabs? Also the speaker in the combo is an 8ohm, if the cab is an 8 ohm also will there be any problems using the 4ohm outputs?

mtnb1kr,

The speaker in your combo is 8 ohms. Make sure the speaker you put into the extension cabinet is 8 ohms as well. This combined load in parallel is 4 ohms.

You combo should have three speaker outputs, one 8 ohm output, and two 4 ohm outputs. If you are going to run both speakers at the same time, plug them both into the 4 ohm outputs. If you are going to run one speaker plug it into the 8 ohm output.

Check this link for more impedence info:
http://homepage.mac.com/mesaboogie/excab/excab3.html

chedgeco... 8)

Back