Mesa Boogie Son of Boogie (SOB)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hello everyone!!
Im new to this forum, i can say is really great!!
I own several mesas, one of then is the Mesa Boogie SOB, it is really hard to find one, and it is hard find any post or coments about it.
I think im gonna sell it for monetary reasons :( . It is an amazing amp.
Any of you owns one? what do you think about the amp?

ascard said:
Hello everyone!!
Im new to this forum, i can say is really great!!
I own several mesas, one of then is the Mesa Boogie SOB, it is really hard to find one, and it is hard find any post or coments about it.
I think im gonna sell it for monetary reasons :( . It is an amazing amp.
Any of you owns one? what do you think about the amp?

Hi, dude! Welcome on board! :wink:
There are many topics about the SOB in this forum...this is the last one...
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=32341

Hi bro!
Ohhh i see, i read that post, hehehe it seems that people dont like the SOB that much, the one i got is really good, it really is, of course it is not a metal amp, and the limit knob is useless, but it is a reaaaaally nice amp, i hate the idea of selling the amp, but when you need the money nothing you can do about it.
I have a mark IV, a lonestar special and a road king too, and i can say that the SOB is a reaally nice and good amp.
If anybody is interested in the amp pm me.
It is funny cause it seems many people didnt like it, dunno why thou.

Hi,

I have a 2nd hand SOB. I love it. I use it at low volumes and it sounds great. It also works well when I turn it up and put pedals in front of it. All in all I think it is a great low cost Boogie amp.

I own five Boogies, a MkIIB, a MkIII, a MkIV, a Trem-O-Verb and an '84 Boogie S.O.B. halfstack. I don't know if I'd call it low cost, this thing wasn't cheap. The head is 100 watter with half power switch(60 watts). Has the matching diamond metal grille 4x12 cab with the original Electro-Voice EVM12-S 200 watt speakers. The cool thing is these cabs have a removable top panel, so they can be run half open back. Mine is initialed MB (Mike Bendinelli) The 1x12 combos are 60 watts, and less expensive. I don't think these things took off well because they were introduced at the time the MkIIC+ was in production, and that was the amp to have, so the S.O.B kinda languished, although they were built for three years('82-'85). They are often referred to as the MkI reissue. They've got that classic MkI tone with that Santana Abraxas tone when pushed in the 60 watt mode. The 100 watters are extremely loud, so the limit works well on mine. I jokingly refer to the heads as what the Fender Bassman head wants to be when it grows up. They have that Fender super clean tone, but have a lot more steam. They are not high gain, but I get some awesome gain tones with an 808, a Hermida Zendrive and a Hermida Mosferatu pedals. They are built like tanks with massive transformers. They are just a cool vintage Boogie and worth having in your collection. Sorry to hear you're selling yours.

I got an SOB on ebay recently it will arrive on wednesday. Mine is a 1-12 combo. Back in the day I had a blonde SOB halfstack. When I was attending Berklee college of music that was the amp to own. Loved the amp back in the day and now can't wait to receive the combo. One unique feature of the combo I am getting is it was custom ordered with reverb. I am curious to hear what the verb sounds like. I am also wondering if my amp will need a cap job. It has been stored in a studio and used fairly well for it's 26 years.

If it's got a long spring reverb tank, it should sound fairly good. The halfstacks are beasts with the four EVM12-S speakers. My avatar is rather small, but that's my SOB blond halfstack. The halfstacks are getting rare, you see the combos around a bit.

Always loved the little SOB.
I picked up my second one today,
Bought my first one 25 years ago, unfortunately had to sell it on for financial reasons.
Being looking ever since to find another one, they're pretty hard to come by down here in Australia.

Does anyone have a manual or know where I can obtain one? I emailed the Mesa Boogie website but all they had was the promo pamphlet which they kindly emailed to me.

644037_10151308299378336_1675642878_n-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back