Wow! I just played through a Mark V!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cho

Reaction score
So, I walked into Mesa Boogie Hollywood today, and lo and behold, they had a Mark V head sitting there, not yet for sale, but available for demo. I didn't have a lot of time, but I did play through it for about 10 mintues! All I can say is: WoW! What a nice amp! Lots o' features, and great sounds! Here is my quick rundown of the features:

Three channels. each channel has master, gain, presence, bass, mid, & treble. Each channel has a selectable power setting: 10, 45 or 90 watts. What a nice feature having this selectable on each channel! (Eg. you can set up the clean channel at 90W, for lots of headroom, and put the lead at 10w, for maximum saturation). Each channel can be selected to use the graphic EQ, or not. In addition, each channel has additional toggle switches (voicings), which I will try to remember:

Channel 1: Bright/Normal toggle. Also, one other toggle which I can't remember at the moment. i seem to remember it compressed the sound a bit. What an awesome clean channel! So much punch! So much bass! So full, and also detailed! I would say it sounds better than the clean channels on any of the Mark amps I have heard (Mark I, III, and IV).

Channel 2: Edgey/Crunch/Normal toggle. This one seemed to roll off the bass, as you moved towards Edgey. Also, a "Mark I"/"non Mark I" toggle. This brought in the bass in big time in the Mark I setting. The non Mark I setting sounded more like Channel 2 on the Mark IV. I was loving the fat, bassy Mark I setting though!

Channel 3: Here is the voicing a lot of you were probably waiting for: Mark IIC+ / Mark IV / normal toggle. I have never played through a IIC+, but I got an idea of it today. The Mark IV setting sounded a little fuller, a little fatter. The IIC+ setting had a little more a "V" shape to the EQ, and got some really nice harmonics on the high end. Also, had another toggle...I forget exactly what it did. I think it was a bright switch too.

In addiiton, the Graphic EQ had some extra switches. They had an alternative to the 5 slider eq, which I guess is like a contour control, but they did not call it that. You have a choice of using the 5 sliders OR the contour, and choosing between two different "depths" of the contour. They guy there said you could not get the contour eq using the sliders, so it sounds like it was more than just a slider preset kind of setting.

The power switch had a full and tweed setting. I did not try the tweed setting. All three channels sounded very distinct..like three different amps, and the variation of the the toggles really gave a nice variety to the sounds you can get. I should also mention that this was playing through a 4x12 cab, which I have never used before, so part of my amazement with this amp might just be the 4x12. I was very impressed by the low end (bass) of channels 1 and 2: Very full, but not flabby! Also, the harmonics on Channel 3 were excellent! Sweet and not harsh!

Also, it was nice to have so much control on the front of the amp (including the power settings). the only controls on the back (at least that I can remember) were 3 switches: Channels 2 and 3 could select between tube or diode rectifier and Channel 1 could select pentode vs. triode. Some of these switches were limited to the 45 W setting only, but I forget if it was for Channel 1 or Channels 2 and 3.

I asked if I could take a picture, but was respectfully denied. It will be introduced at the NAMM show, they said, and they didn't want pictures floating around before then. However, I couldn't restrain myself from giving you guys the review! If you are in/near Hollywood, I recommend stopping by and checking it out. I think Boogie did well with this amp. They could have put out something mediocre, but I think this amp sounded exceptional. I would have liked to have A/B'd it with my Mark IV, through the 4x12, so I could compare it... But at least the clean channel and the tonal variations available on the rhythm and lead channels makes me think that the Mark V surely surpasses the Mark IV. (BTW, I asked if it had the same output transformer as the Mark IV...they said "No: The Mark V has a bigger output transformer!").

Oh. I also asked how much it would cost. They said they hoped it would be around $2000, but said it would probably end up being around $2100 or $2200. We'll have to see....

A couple things I forgot to mention:

The Mark V also has a solo level, which allows you to set a boosted volume that you can switch to/from. Also, I forgot to mention the footswitch: 8 switches (2 rows of 4). I forget them all now, but it includes: Channel 1, 2,3, Reverb, EQ, Solo... hmm I forget the others. sorry. :roll:

Also, will be available only as head or 1 x 12" combo.

Sounds VERY cool. Thanks for the review. Were there 3 separate controls for the reverb for each channel? How was the quality of the reverb?

bradg said:
Sounds VERY cool. Thanks for the review. Were there 3 separate controls for the reverb for each channel? How was the quality of the reverb?

Now that you mention it, I don't remember seeing reverb controls, or noticing the reverb in the sound. It must have been off or on very low. I know it did have a reverb switch on the footpedal, though...

Did it look like a nomad?

Can't wait for its release, I think it might fit the description of what im looking for.

AMSnell said:
Did it look like a nomad?

Can't wait for its release, I think it might fit the description of what im looking for.

yes, it had the Nomad style knobs. It looked very good, especially the way each channel had its own section, unlike the Mark IV. The picture floating around of Petrucci's rig with the Mark V on top is exactly (the best I can tell) what MB Hollywood had.

Don't worry, you'll have some nay-sayer posting in here soon saying that it's all a hoax and Mesa Hollywood is making it all up, and what they have their is really a Nomad they've made look like a Mark V... 8)

What a killer amp... I'd love to have one but i'd have to sell all my gear to afford one and then i'd be without a guitar!

awesome post Cho... the best part is i'm leaving for a business trip on Monday and was planning on stopping by Mesa Hollywood on Friday anyway. Man I have never been more excited to go on a business trip :D ... this is going to be like a belated christmas gift.

jdurso said:
awesome post Cho... the best part is i'm leaving for a business trip on Monday and was planning on stopping by Mesa Hollywood on Friday anyway. Man I have never been more excited to go on a business trip :D ... this is going to be like a belated christmas gift.

Nice! I'm interested to know what others think about it! I'd like to get back there to spend more time with it, if I could. I didn't even try changing an EQ setting, so I'm not sure how active the EQ controls are......I just played with the mini toggles (4 on each channel).

DAMNIT DAMNIT DAMNIT!

i was at GC in hollywood yesterday when my mom got into a car crash so i had to go home. i planned to go to the mesa store across the street when she told me i had to meet her after she got hit. Shes ok btw, but now im super pissed as i could have played/seen the Mark V

Thanx for the review. I think you may have sent more than a few people to the store. I can see a line waiting to try the head. :roll:

MetalMatt said:
When switching channels any popping or lag?

Nope. No popping or lag when switching channels.

Anyone else make it over to MB Hollywood yet, to check it out?

I'm curious to hear what owners of both a IIC+ and MarkIV have to say about the lead voicings :)

Looks like I'll need to start saving some cash up for one. ****... I can't imagine selling any of my amps though. Frustrating!

kiff said:
I'm curious to hear what owners of both a IIC+ and MarkIV have to say about the lead voicings :)

Looks like I'll need to start saving some cash up for one. ****... I can't imagine selling any of my amps though. Frustrating!

Well, one guy who played it said the Mark IV voicing sounded exactly like his Mark IV. And according to Petrucci's tech, JP said he thought the IIC+ mode was very accurate.

Back