EV12L questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Tweedbucket

Reaction score
I have a MkIII with the no sticker EV12L, I've also seen an EV 12L with huge fins on the back magnet and it was labeled SRO. Is that the same thing in a different package? :shock: These are all rated at 200 watts, correct?

The Mesa (black-labeled) EVM12L and the Mesa OEM (non-labeled, plain-metal magnet) are indeed the same speaker. But to my understanding, the SRO is a different spkr. from these.

Edward

The SRO is the pre-EVM speaker from the 70's. Then came the first series EVM's somewhere around 1982 with the finned magnet cover. The EVM's (first issue, series II, OEM and Black Shadow) were all 200watt with the EVM Proline from the early 90's being 300watt.

Restless Rocks said:
The SRO is the pre-EVM speaker from the 70's. Then came the first series EVM's somewhere around 1982 with the finned magnet cover. The EVM's (first issue, series II, OEM and Black Shadow) were all 200watt with the EVM Proline from the early 90's being 300watt.

That is pretty much it. I did read that the EVM was first introduced in 1983 and that is the speaker that was in my first Boogie MKIIC+ that I bought in late 1983. I don't know the watt rating of the SRO but I know they used to get blown up all the time and would bet that it is rated closer to 150 watts. I have seen them in photos of Mark series Boogies but have never heard that combination. It was considered one of the best speakers of its day, along with JBL D120s and Altec 417-8Hs etc.

gts said:
They usually have a number which starts with 812 meaning 8ohm 12". The remaining numbers are a serial number indicatiung which speaker it is. You can call EV with this serial number and they can confirm what it is but their data base of these serial numbers is somewhat incomplete.

Yes, the first 3 digits denote the ohmage and size. I'm guessing the next 4 denote the model but the final 4 definitely confirm the datecode.

For example 812 9460 9612 would be the 12th week of 1996.

Lyn

I had a pair of finned cover EVs in a Fender twin reverb back in 78. They've been around a long time. That was one heavy amp!

The finned cover Electro voice SRO 12L that I saw must have been NOS? or do they still made these? It was new in the box.

I may be a little older then most folks here but in the early 70's one of my earlier home made cabs (of which I was rightfully very proud of) was a 2-15" guitar cab that I loaded with a pair of 15" SRO's. They were rated at (IIRC) 200 watts each and absolutely kicked major ***, no matter what amp they were used with. I couldn't come close to blowing them, but alas they both died at the hands of my then two year old nephew who took a ball point pen to the cones of both speakers, shredding them beyond any hope of repair. This was several years before the EVM-12L's, EVM-12S's, or their 15" equivalents came along. The designs of the two types of speakers from basket's to magnets was VERY different. An EVM-12L has little in common with an SRO 12", and an EVM-15L has little in common with an SRO 15", other than the fact that they both have cast aluminum baskets.

Hopefully the nephew was immediately put up for adoption. :evil:
There is something about kids and open speakers that scare me :shock:

I have a pair of SROs hiding out in my basement.... I should probably do something with them... they are the barrel type magnets ( I think they are alnico ). I have a 2x12 Dr. Z cab I may pop them in to see how they sound. :)

I rushed out and bought that finned SRO EVL I was talking about for $80! Can't wait to see how it sounds.... it's brand new in the box.

Are all the EV cast frame speakers rated at 200 watts? It's hard to tell with the no label versions. :?

Can they be used for Bass guitar too, or not?

Hello gts

A month or so ago I purchased a NOS EVM 12L from Ebay and I was curious as to how old it was, thinking it was probably from the 80's. I telephoned the local distributor here in the UK but all they could tell me was it was quite old, but no idea as to the OEM numbers.

I then looked up EV on the Internet and found Bosch Communications Systems who handle Electro-Voice support products.
After emailing them with my particular OEM numbers, they replied that it was the last 4 numbers that denoted the year and the week, i.e. 9612 becomes 1996 week 12.
They also confirmed it was a 200watt model @ 8 ohms.

Therefore, your righthand speaker would be manufactured in the 40th week of 1989.

However, as can be seen in your photo, some EV's have a different second set of digits and only three in the last set !
I could only hazard a guess that the middle set of digits either refer to a different model, a different wattage (150watt maybe ?) or possibly manufactured in a different plant.
As to the last three ......... ?

Lyn

EV's are good speakers. I like the way the EVM15L's sound with Bass Guitar.

I really like the way the new ones look.

300 watts makes my back hurt just looking at it.

EV12LBlacLabel.jpg

Latest posts

Back