Just wanna share......Boogafunk Cab Coming

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supergenius365

Reaction score
Here is the Thiele in progress I have coming from Boogafunk. They matched the color of my MKIIC+.
002.jpg

No, that's a new grill style they are using. I am actually having him make one for my MkIIC+. My 2 year old like to poke the speaker with his finger through a hole in the grill cloth.

Hey Frank,

I have an old EMV 12L to put in there. Never had a Thiele, but I had a ported 2X12 from Earcandycabs for a while.

As I mentioned, Boogafunk have been very helpful and have been good w/communication so far.

I am really looking forward to this cab.

fyi, the hardware was just set in place for picture purposes. that is just standard grill material that was sheared and bent by us. the same as most other manufacturers use. i believe it came from penn fabrication.

i still like the "other" grills we use better, but i will concede that for this application the traditional grill looks better. i think we nailed the color, but considering we only had a digital photo sent to us via email, we shall see.

Boogafunk said:
fyi, the hardware was just set in place for picture purposes. that is just standard grill material that was sheared and bent by us. the same as most other manufacturers use. i believe it came from penn fabrication.

i still like the "other" grills we use better, but i will concede that for this application the traditional grill looks better. i think we nailed the color, but considering we only had a digital photo sent to us via email, we shall see.

Could you tell us about the construction? Ebay auction says the wood is "arouco", Stapled and glued.

I've never heard of "arouco" from what I can find it sounds like a cheaper wood like luan or something. I'm not a woodworker, so really I know nothing about this stuff. Tonal characteristics compared to birch? Weight?

What kind of jointing is used? Is this what was used in the original thieles? Was finger/dado jointing of any type used? If not why was another technique chosen?

I also agree, I MUCH prefer the Grill shown in this post. Classy. I would think that big grill interferes with the sound and might induce comb filtering? (Which could be good or bad and I'm sure all grills do to some extent)

I read this from an HC review: "They also showed me the internal damping that goes inside the cab. They explained that this was a key step that mesa had omitted on their production cabs, and that the cabinet had originally been speced out that way from electovoice. They said this tightens the bass response. " Could you elaborate on this difference? Does it mean there's less bass than a Mesa Theile? "Tightens the bass" Is used in so many different ways these days....

Lastly I see there's many colors available. (Cool!) Can you show us more pictures of the standard colors? I've only seen Orange, Blue, Purple, Black, and the cream above. I guess the only one not shown is Red!

What is the upcharge for other colors?

Also the cab in the above pic looks a LOT like vinyl, where the other pictures of your cabs have a "Hammertone" sorta look. Did you do anything different? Perhaps refining of the process? Or the picture just came out that way, and the color lends itself to looking smoother?

to answer two questions , the arauco is not cheap like luan, it is actually as expensive as birch. the reason we use it is because the layers are thicker, there are no voids in the material , and it is consistent density throughout.
Good eye on the finish! this one is glossy. we have two ways of finishing the cabs. the final coat determins a matte finish or a semi gloss finish. its like spraying a car sort of if you haze it , it turns out matte, if you load the last coat heavy its glossy! we tried to give this one a glossier look because of the amp it was going with.
we can do these in any size any color, any hardware color also.

for all you that are curious

http://www.coxlumber.com/arauco.html

that's the stuff we use. i have built numerous types of cabs with it and i have found it to be a very good performer. and it's lighter than birch as well. as far as the tonal differences between the two i can't exactly say, but i would surmise that one would be hard pressed to tell the difference in a blind sound test. the goal of a building a cab is to make it not resonate, or color the sound of the enclosure. taking the mateirial used out of the equation. i realize that i am going against several schools of thought on this, but i don't think that you should try to make a cab that colors your sound on purpose. (because of resonation, not design) to me it's kinda like putting hot sauce on your fillet mignon in a guormet resteraunt.

we build these cabs to ev specs with all the cleats and joinery specified in their plans. the only difference is that instead of screws, we glue the joints with polyurethane glue. (pl premium) this is the best glue ime to use when building cabs. it is extemely strong. way stronger than tightbond or elmers or any of the quallity woodglues available, and it expands to fill up a joint and seal it airtight. you will never need to caulk the inside of a properly pl glued enclosure, no airleaks. the corner cleats are not needed for structural reasons but they are calculated into the airspace and do add quite a bit of strength as they are glued as well. overkill, but i like overkill. i'd put that joint up against a rabbit, or even a dovetail anyday strenthwise. one additional thing that they do is act as vibration dampers. again just my opinion going back to my thoughts on resonance.

the damping material probably makes the biggest listenable difference to the cab. sound waves in a square enclosure bounce around and you may find that some frequencies will cancel each other while others will double, and varying levels inbetween. (depending on the dimensions of the cab) the damping serves to rectify this and further reduces the resonance of the cab. what you end up with is a clearer more natural sound. hard to desribe in words, but the biggest thing you'll notice is a big reduction in speaker flub on the low end. not less bass just tighter bass. think the split second after a hard palm-mute. a tighter end of the note and less ring. maby this is not your cup of tea, but i personally like this and consider it a positive. i would encourage anyone with a thiele to experiment with this and see for themselves.

and finally the coating. we texture it on purpose, as the stuff is pretty thick and lends itself very well for this kind of a finish. you end up with a good looking finish that is way more durable than tolex or carpet. a smooth finish would be possible but difficult. imagine trying to get a smooth finish out of something the consistency of tar. no sanding allowed. it would take so many ultra thin coats it wouldn't really be practical.

wheew, did i miss anything?

Thanks, I think you covered just about everything!

All that's left is some more pictures of the cabs, and pricing for options (Colors etc.....)

Also curious, are these built strictly to the EV plans or to the slightly modified (Supposedly from what I read) Mesa size? Curious about the width and fitting a short head Mark IV on top.

these are ev spec, however we have been thinking about making a run of mesa sized cabs, because of all the feedback we've been getting from forum members. i probably shouldn't say much on the subject, (we are in negotiations with ev right now) but i guess it will save me the time of answering all the pm's asking if we would do it. (although don't hesitate to drop me a line, i don't mind people picking my brain at all, also options and pricing will be handled via pm.)

on a side note the offical professional debute of a boogafunk cab on stage with a "big" act happens tomorrow night here in huntsville. mike roberts will be playing his cab (the orange one with white hardware) on stage with gary nichols. gary's kind of an outlaw country guy, but he tours with bon-jovi, sugarland, and brad paisley. (his song "goin' fast" was picked up by nascar) not van halen, but i'm pretty stoked. not to shabby for being in the cab buisiness just a few months.

Cool! Mesa sized cab would definitely pique my interest even more.

I assume you are in negotiations with EV so you could offer the cabs loaded at a lower price (The current $195 upcharge is standard retail). Certainly would sweeten the deal and make a nice Alternative. The Mesa Thieles only come in black with a C90 and are about $400. Yours runs about the same but has color options, and that would be with an EV speaker (Which costs more than a C90 AFAIK) so one could argue it's a better deal.

What are your plans with the grills? More like the one in this thread or the thick chrome ones on your site?

yes. those speakers are quite expensive, even at dealer cost. probably over twice what a c90 costs (maby closer to tree times as much.) especially after you pay to have them shipped to you. dealers selling them at $195 (btw that's the the manufacturer specified m.a.p. price) aren't making much money at all. this is probably the single biggest reason that cab manufacurers stopped using them. (i missed that meeting though so i don't know for sure)

as for the grills, the thick one is standard (just cause i like it) but the others are available no extra charge. just depends on what someone wants.

and while i don't want to in anyway compare my cabs to mesa's. i will say that i do believe that mine are reasonably priced, considering the finish and features. (oh and the sound too)

M A P minimum advertised price. we cant advertise them cheaper ! bye bye dealership if you get caught. we can however drop the price of a cab loaded. but even dealer pricing is quite expensive. list price on the evm12l is 249, map is 195, dealer is about the same difference between those two and theres shipping. so you figure overhead and stocking fees in there a guy really isnt making much at map price. we just got some other speakers in today we are testing that will be a downline , we have no idea how they will sound but ill keep you posted.

new pics are up of jasons markll thiele at www.boogafunkcabs.net .
also for those who have asked , weve got an 18.5 width with the same ev spec cab. we simply added .500 to each side. adds about 2 pounds to the already light cab! the sides will be 1.25 from the front view/ with the .750 top and bottom. ill get pics up as soon as its coated. might do this one in red, or if someone would like to request a color feel free. we are also looking at a deal for the forum guys, ill have to clear it with the moderators, as i suspect we need to become contributing members, which we fully intend to do. i was thinking maybe we could get a deal of ten together and we could cut the price a little and give the difference to the board. keep throwing your ideas out there , they are helpful!

My Boogafunk is here.

It seems things have been covered very well in this post.

I will simply say you can have full confidence in Scottie and Boogafunk. Top notch customer service. Great looking product. Well built. The covering is a great idea.

I am pretty new to Boogies and new to the Boogie Board. But, I have been playing over 20 years and I can tell good gear from crap. This is good gear.

I thought my MKIIC+ combo was the best amp I had ever heard, hands down, until now. Now, with the Boogafunk cab, is my amp the best sounding amp I have ever heard.

Well done Boogafunk!

Back