Almighty MK IV medium head

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6L6-wreck

Reaction score

NAD !!!! The venerable MESA MK IV long head. Ive heard about the MK IV for decades but to be honest never really "got it" til today when i played this one. Absolutely one of thee most tonally harmonically rich amps ive ever played & hands down the best clean tone ive ever heard.

\m/
The Mark IV is one bad beast of an amp for sure. Especially if you can turn it up. Get that Output Level up around 5 and channel master around 3-4 on the lead and hang on! It's worth it even if only on occasion.
Side note, Mesa calls that head size Medium, not long. It really doesn't matter but the more you know, the more you know. I believe it is because Dual Rectos are wider or longer lol.

JCB1980 said:
\m/
The Mark IV is one bad beast of an amp for sure. Especially if you can turn it up. Get that Output Level up around 5 and channel master around 3-4 on the lead and hang on! It's worth it even if only on occasion.
Side note, Mesa calls that head size Medium, not long. It really doesn't matter but the more you know, the more you know. I believe it is because Dual Rectos are wider or longer lol.
Thanks Bro. So many tonal combo's/options on this amp. unreal !

Im hearing tones outta my guitars & pedals ive not heard before because of this amp & and ive had these a long time. Pretty incredible.

MESA maintenance this morning from top to bottom. Everything including the fan. Got all the crud/dirt/cobwebs out literally.

Ive swapped 4 quads of 6L6 including an original set of Phillips STR-387 6L6GC which sounded good but a little too glassy/boomy for my tastes and have settled on older Sovtek 6L6 WXT+'s in the power section & NOS ECC-83 Amperex Holland from my stash. Amp truly sounds amazing.
I tried an old school NOS GE 5751 in the PI but went back to an Amperex ECC-83, sounds better to my ears.

Mike Bendinelli's initials are on my amp [top chassis by OT] so maybe he assembled it.

Nice! I just got a Mark IV medium also. The chassis is marked MB 2/95. I assumed it meant Mesa Boogie and the build date, Feb. 1995 but your right it's probably Mike B.

Back