(for lead playing) who *doesn't* prefer iic+ or iii+ over the original iii?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erickompositör72

Reaction score
I just acquired a red stripe DRG that I'm enjoying quite a bit. However, I'm always curious if there's something slightly more responsive, touch-sensitive, liquidy, etc.

Hence my fascination with the iii+ modification, and of course, the iic+.

Given the things I'm looking for, is there a chance I could regret getting this mod'd to a iii+?

Another option would be waiting a bit, picking up an early 105 PT Mark III (or export PT?), and having that mod'd to a iii+, so I could keep an original iii red stripe and have a iii+

or, just go nuts and pick up a iic+ and not tell my wife how much it costs? ;) (this is my last resort)

I am not an amp collector, but I am a professional musician and very serious about my tone. I say this because I'm not convinced I can't be in tone heaven with a iii or iii+. I've never played a iii+ or a iic+, so I'm trying to live vicariously through all of you until I get that chance!

n.b. I'm only concerned about tone for lead playing, single notes, etc.

For more context (and some irony):

My favorite recorded lead tone is probably Petrucci on Images and Words. Pretty sure that was a triaxis. I just happen to prefer combos and heads/cabinets.

You can do what I did. Climb to the top of the mountain one amp at a time or you can take that leap of faith and dive in with both feet and grab a C+ now.

They hold their value and over the next few years will go up in value because nothing else compares with a C+ in person. Recording tone is mostly production, from fingers to tape there's a lot of stuff, but in real life, real room, there will never ever be a match for the mighty C+ and that is why they are so coveted.

Being a musician, you need the best to be the best.

For lead tones nothing is as good as a C+. For rhythms there are things about my IIB+ and my Red Stripe that I like as much but not better than the C+. ..for a LOT less $$. I've sold all of my C+ ultimately because I don't like how they sit in the band mix. Too nasally. Although, if I was a better lead player I should have kept one around for recording.

I get my red stripe back Tuesday from service & the ++ mod. Going to do a before / after tone comparo vid. I've got a thread about it here.

My comparos are OK, honestly for a really good comparison of the various Marks look up Choptone's playthroughs. They are very accurate.

To add, the Mark III is pure Whitesnake 1987 tone which I love. I will be a little sad if my ++ mod kills that. I'll let you know.

C+'s are great for Lead tones but which c+? If I had to choose a c+ other than my Coli it would probably be an upgraded HRG. The feel and tone is somewhere between an original HRG and DRG. Still tight enough for rhythm and loose enough for liquid leads.

I had a HRG X101 which was my least favorite. It was a C then a C+ then a C++ while I had it. (Well ok if i'm being honest the JP was my least favorite, which is HRG based and despite what they say has the tranny dimensions & lower voltage from the X101.)

I had a DRG 105 that was a factory + then a ++ while I had it. It did *that* rhythm tone the best.

I had a DR factory 105 and a SR factory (whatever the SR tranny is). BOTH of them KILL at lead tones. Much better purity clarity & sustain than the GEQ models I had. The DR was sweeter & the SR was faster. For a pure lead recording amp I would have kept one of these.

My $0.02.

GJgo- I really appreciate your input, and just wanted to say that I definitely used your youtube videos as a reference before I purchased my red stripe DRG. I enjoyed all of your videos (and your iib+ sounds awesome!)

xdg999- all of the insight you (and GJgo) have provided really makes me curious about the "3+" upgrade, but...

I just swapped some new pickups into my guitars (notably Dmz Dreamcatcher), and I must say, I'm in heaven with my red stripe. From my observations, I'm one of the rare folk who has the 750 slider boosted a bit (between middle & top line), and the rich, smooth, liquidy tone I'm getting is really doing it for me right now.

I'd be curious to make some other minor tweaks first (tubes, etc), but let's just say, at this moment, I'm in no rush to send it in for the "3+" mod (who knows, that may change!); and I going to enjoy this honeymoon for a bit before having more iii+/ iic+ fantasies!

Back