60 Watt Mark II C+ Combo Weight

Mark I's, II's, III's and the almight IV

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned, Platypus

jack s.
Mark II
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:37 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY

60 Watt Mark II C+ Combo Weight

Post by jack s. » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:25 am

Anyone know how much a tolex 60 watt Mark II C+ combo with EQ and reverb weighs? It has a black Shadow 150 watt speaker. One of these is for sale locally. I want it, but I worry about the weight of the Boogie Mark combos. I owned a 100 watt Mark II years ago but sold it because it was just too heavy to transport around.

gts
Mark IV
Posts: 870
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:09 pm
Location: Looking over the shoulder of the guy who lost his apples - not that he really ever had any to lose.

Re: 60 Watt Mark II C+ Combo Weight

Post by gts » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:56 am

about 70lbs

jack s.
Mark II
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:37 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: 60 Watt Mark II C+ Combo Weight

Post by jack s. » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:32 pm

Yikes, that's a lot. I might just look for a C+ head.

gts
Mark IV
Posts: 870
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:09 pm
Location: Looking over the shoulder of the guy who lost his apples - not that he really ever had any to lose.

Re: 60 Watt Mark II C+ Combo Weight

Post by gts » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:52 am

You could get the combo and swap it into a head shell.
I could make you a head shell too.

treedroppings
Mark II
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:15 pm
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: 60 Watt Mark II C+ Combo Weight

Post by treedroppings » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:12 am

The celestion black shadow weighs less. 90 watts 8 ohms
2006 Fender Lite Ash Strat
2012 US Gibson Firebird V
1990 Boogie Mark 1 Reissue
2-12 Sapele Cab

Music: from blues to thrash and back! (allman bros, exodus, saxon, tcf, robert johnson)

User avatar
Markedman
Donating Member
Posts: 1216
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:56 pm
Location: Norfolk, CT

Re: 60 Watt Mark II C+ Combo Weight

Post by Markedman » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:44 am

If weight is going to be a problem you should get a small cart to move your amp. This, moving gear, is something that won't get better over time so I would invest in a cart that will carry your gear easily. A 70 lb. amp verses a 48 lb. one is still a lot of weight. Even a 22 lb. amp can be burdensome to someone walking an 1/8 of a mile through a parking lot, bar stools, dance floor, etc.

Don't buy junk, if you do, you'll regret it!
JP2C, Mark llC++ DG, Mark IV-A/B.

jack s.
Mark II
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:37 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: 60 Watt Mark II C+ Combo Weight

Post by jack s. » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:52 pm

Yeah, I've been thinking of getting a cart of some sort. I have to take a cab to a lot of gigs and often have to carry gear a block or so when I drive. I've found that a 50 lb amp is the max I can carry along with a guitar and pedals. I tend to use the lighter gear more and more and use the heavy gear less and less these days. I'm trying to decide to go with getting the real C+ combo or a Mark V:35. I worry about the Mark V:35 combo being loud enough though......this band is LOUD. My experience has been that having the extra headroom is good for the higher gain stuff.

jack s.
Mark II
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:37 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: 60 Watt Mark II C+ Combo Weight

Post by jack s. » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:54 pm

gts wrote:You could get the combo and swap it into a head shell.
I could make you a head shell too.
Interesting idea. That's an option. Transporting both a head and a cab could be tough for me in some situations.If both were an option that might work though.

jack s.
Mark II
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:37 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: 60 Watt Mark II C+ Combo Weight

Post by jack s. » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:06 am

Also, which transformers on these are really rough on power amp tubes? I know the 105 transformers are. I'm trying to avoid having to buy NOS glass. I also am keeping an eye out for a Mark III locally in case I can score a really good deal. Do any transformers for these require NOS power tubes?

northernlights
Bottle Rocket
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:16 pm

Re: 60 Watt Mark II C+ Combo Weight

Post by northernlights » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:12 pm

I was thinking about changing speakers to put my Mark IIB on a diet, so I weighed it.

52 lb. Not a II C+, but a good point of reference for anyone shopping.

No EQ, Reverb or Simul-Class, just a plain 60W combo. The MS-12 Black Shadow weighs 15.8 lb, so I was looking at neo replacements to get close to 40 lb total, which would be really, really nice considering what it is.

gts
Mark IV
Posts: 870
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:09 pm
Location: Looking over the shoulder of the guy who lost his apples - not that he really ever had any to lose.

Re: 60 Watt Mark II C+ Combo Weight

Post by gts » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:21 pm

jack s. wrote:
gts wrote:You could get the combo and swap it into a head shell.
I could make you a head shell too.
Interesting idea. That's an option. Transporting both a head and a cab could be tough for me in some situations.If both were an option that might work though.
I've made quite a few 1x12 and Thiele cabinets too.
Currently making a couple of a 1x15 cabs.
I've also made some custom speaker cabs.
One was a special "wide body" Thiele so a long head could fit on top.
It wasn't a fake wide body Thiele like Mesa makes (there's has an odd triangular port design).
Mine used the real Theile design an had an empty section added on to make it wider.

jack s.
Mark II
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:37 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: 60 Watt Mark II C+ Combo Weight

Post by jack s. » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:22 am

northernlights wrote:I was thinking about changing speakers to put my Mark IIB on a diet, so I weighed it.

52 lb. Not a II C+, but a good point of reference for anyone shopping.

No EQ, Reverb or Simul-Class, just a plain 60W combo. The MS-12 Black Shadow weighs 15.8 lb, so I was looking at neo replacements to get close to 40 lb total, which would be really, really nice considering what it is.
That's actually not as bad as I would have expected. 50lbs is roughly the point where I want to switch to the head/cab setup to split up the weight. It is worth saying too that the Mark IIB I had was a 15 inch version, so it would have been a little heavier than a 12 inch version. I think it had an Altec speaker if I remember correctly. I forgot to tell you guys that.

jack s.
Mark II
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:37 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: 60 Watt Mark II C+ Combo Weight

Post by jack s. » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:24 am

gts wrote:
jack s. wrote:
gts wrote:You could get the combo and swap it into a head shell.
I could make you a head shell too.
Interesting idea. That's an option. Transporting both a head and a cab could be tough for me in some situations.If both were an option that might work though.
I've made quite a few 1x12 and Thiele cabinets too.
Currently making a couple of a 1x15 cabs.
I've also made some custom speaker cabs.
One was a special "wide body" Thiele so a long head could fit on top.
It wasn't a fake wide body Thiele like Mesa makes (there's has an odd triangular port design).
Mine used the real Theile design an had an empty section added on to make it wider.
I'll definitely keep that in mind and pm you if I buy the amp and want to go this route. I'd probably have to wait a little while for my bank account to recover of course haha.

jack s.
Mark II
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:37 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: 60 Watt Mark II C+ Combo Weight

Post by jack s. » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:38 pm

Is a 60-watt version likely to have one of the output transformers in it that is hard on tubes? I know that some of the Mark IIC+ amps require really heavy duty tubes because the plate voltage is really high on them. I'm not sure if that is just for the 100 watt C+ amps though.

JOEY B.
Dual Recto
Posts: 2833
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:21 pm
Location: North Alabama C+ Mafia-Kingpin

Re: 60 Watt Mark II C+ Combo Weight

Post by JOEY B. » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:03 pm

jack s. wrote:Is a 60-watt version likely to have one of the output transformers in it that is hard on tubes? I know that some of the Mark IIC+ amps require really heavy duty tubes because the plate voltage is really high on them. I'm not sure if that is just for the 100 watt C+ amps though.
It's not the output transformer, but the power transformer that you need to be concerned with. The 60 watt versions are supposed to send 448V to the plates of the power tubes. You will be fine.
"One of these days, I'm gonna change my evil ways....... one of these days.

Post Reply