Mark IIB Speaker Choices

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gitapik

Reaction score
Hi,

I've got a 1980 Mark IIB Combo. All the perks except the wood/cane grill. Got the white tolex. I've had it since it was born and bought an extension cab about 12 years ago.

Speaker(s): EVM12

Now...the past 12 years have been spent focusing on my acoustic stuff...but I've been gittin' restless, lately...so I pulled out me Strat and Paul and plugged 'er in. Wanna get back into some electric stuff...

Long story longer: The amp's heavier than I remembered (hehhehheh) and, much as I really do LOVE the clear tone, the distortion's never really done it for me. I had that modded...which was a definite improvement. But still not quite there. I used pedals, most of the time, when I was gigging a lot.

I've been told that the Celestion Century speaker, at 3 lbs (wow), is fantastic in the Mark series amps. I'm wondering if anyone's heard or used one and what difference I can expect from the EVM? Or if anyone has a favorite speaker that they've put into a Mark IIB (or other Mark series)? I'm looking for a speaker that's lighter than the EVM, can give out a thicker, grittier tone in the overdrive channel and still keep that great clear tone.

Also: if I do get a different speaker, I'm wondering whether the EVM in the extension cab will need replacement too, or if it'll match up well with a different speaker in the amp cab?

:?:

Bob

If a 3 lb speaker sounds great in a Mark IIb, I'd like to know about it, too.

Can anyone verify this for him...and me?

Back