Getting Stiletto Ace, have questions.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarchris76

Reaction score
I recently got rid of my Express 5:50 and am moving up to a Stiletto ACE. I was just wondering if there is only the one version of the ACE. I was hoping they would be adding reverb to it but it does not look like it. I was also wondering what delay pedal someone might reccomend. I have owned the Carbon Copy but was thinking of going for the Line 6 DL4 this time around. Thanks.

Not sure what you mean by "version"....there's 1x12, 2x12, combo, head... :?

I went from 22+ to Express 5:25 to Ace all inside of about 3 weeks back in November, and I've got nothing but love for my Ace :mrgreen:

I really thought I'd miss the reverb on this, but I don't. I run a H2O pedal w/ just a touch of delay and it's golden!!! It sounds rich and full at lower volumes, and the natural room reverb at higher volumes is just fantastic!!! For the first time in MANY years, all the sounds in my head are just jumping out of this amp.... :D

Can you tell that I kinda like this Mesa? :mrgreen:

Hey, guitarchris76, I am getting an Ace pretty soon, too. Maybe we could compare notes!
As far as I know, the Ace is the same as the Stiletto Stage II. It seems that some folks find it a bright-sounding amp, but I've noticed that players like Andy Timmons simply turn down the treble and presence.
What a concept!

The Ace is definitely a bright amp - brighter than the Deuce for sure. Turning down the treble and presence helps but it seems to sound most natural with some brightness in it's tone. The Ace is the Stage II version in combo form - not available in Stage I version.

Great amp!

there is only one version of the ace - you just choose the format (head, combos). No reverb but I don't really miss it. Like someone else mentioned, I put a slight "always on" slapback delay to fatten the sound a bit. As for delay recommendations, Boss has always been reliable. From their basic dd's to the gigadelay. Line 6 is iffy - sounds good but my footswitches went out after a year or two, and occasionally it would just power off on me so there's something fragile about it. So I upgraded to the Eventide Timefactor and am very pleased. It's loaded (overloaded almost) with features, and the different modes truly sound different so it is very versatile. I love the fact you can run 2 delays simultaneously, the delays are very clear and articulate, and there are enough presets to keep you happy.

It can get a little brighter depending on tubes and settings than the Deuce. But, it's got it's own beauty and vibe in a 50W power section you won't get with Deuce or Trident. I think Doug West (Mesa) hit the nail on the head recently talking about 50W EL34 powered amps, saying they're a little tighter, harmonics fly through a little quicker, etc. It's the reason why so many people preferred their JCM 800 2204's to the 2203's for years.

Back