Triple Rectifier 150w/ 4x12 240w cab

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marstanya

Reaction score
Hello! Desperate times... desperate measures. lol. Triple Rectifier 150w with a Mesa 4x12 240w was perfect. Added an XP 100 pedal, still awesome, added a noise suppressor and about 10 minutes later, the speakers in the cab sounded like a wooden ball was rolling and jumping in it. It was not loud enough to blow them, but could something have caused them to blow? It makes the sound even on Standby.
I am not the musician, however, I managed to help him program Line 6 amps and a Fractal Ax8. He is bringing this gem out after a long time for a specific band sound and it all came to a halt. So, I thought I'd ask you guys if anyone has any suggestions.
Thanks so much!

Try a different amp with that cabinet.

Did you have the amp cranked? A 150 watt amp puts out over 300 watts if the power stage is saturating. Marshall's spec for a "100 watt" 1959 Super Lead from the early 70s was 170 watts RMS at 10 percent distortion.

Fender listed my 180 watt Super Twin Reverb at 395 watts peak program power. Which means...yeah, it'd be able to deliver almost 400 watts of energy to the speakers.

If you're going to be cranking it, at the MINIMUM, the cabinet rating needs to be at least twice that of the amp's output power rating or speakers can blow.

Thank you so much for replying! That is the odd thing, it was not cranked up at all. In fact, he was simply testing the effects pedals one at a time since they are new and then this happened. He was literally in the next room, and I didn't hear them blow. That's why I'm thinking something else might be going on. He had the XP100 first and then he added the Noise Suppressor pedal

Went through the manual and all tubes on the head are fine, or appear to be. They are functioning correctly as far as the eye can see.
Is there a setting on the amp that should be adjusted specifically if a noise suppressor is active?

I appreciate your help so much!

I hope this question is unnecessary... was the amp connected to the cab correctly? Meaning using speaker cables and connected to the correct sockets?

Latest posts

Back