Holy Smokes! DR Channel 3 sounds like an ice pick!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dino.

Reaction score
When I first got my DR, I noticed a higher presence on channel 3 which I later discovered was just a different value for the presence control. Otherwise, channel 2 and 3 were pretty much identical. From then on, I have been using channel 2 because it sounded "warmer" to my ears and never used channel 3 again.

Fast forward to today ...
I switch to channel 3 and it is downright SHRILL!
It sounds like an ice pick and NONE of the tone controls (including the presence control) seems to be working. :?:
The only controls on channel 3 that work properly are the master volume and gain controls.
And the "Raw / Modern" toggle just appears to be effecting the overall volume, not tone.

All controls on all other channels work perfect so I'm at a total loss here. :(

I agree. When I tried out non-Mesa branded tubes in my Maverick, it really messed up the tone, particularly on the lead channel. This was true even for JJs, which are supposed to be the same as the Mesas.

All channels share the same tubes and the issues are only with channel 3. :?:
Took the amp in for service last night.

Dino. said:
All channels share the same tubes and the issues are only with channel 3. :?:
Took the amp in for service last night.

Sounds like you made the right choice. If all other channels are ok but one is off then yes you are correct. Hope the repair bill is easy on the wallet for you.

G'luck.

Back