Blue Angel 112 Combo..question?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casper

Reaction score
Hi Boogie-ites! :roll:
I have a NAMM Blue Angel combo that I LOVE. I have been vassilating back and forth on power settings on gigs. I love the 18 watt 6V6 sound mostly, but it breaks up too early and I like the cleans from the second position EL84 or full on combo. I have been thinking about the term "sag" recently and wonder how it applies to my amp? I have supposedly 2 rectifiers, right? How to I get the chewy warmth and yet not get the distortion?
Am I correct in assuming the full tube compliment (6v6 +EL84) gives me the best clean? I almost never use the midrange, but would like to incorporate it into my sound without the distortion or early break up. Am I only going to get "sag" usisng the 6V6 tubes?
Thanks so much for any navigation insight.. :mrgreen:
Shaun

Hi Shaun,

The Blue Angel has a GZ34 rectifier tube. "Sag" refers to the dropping of the power supply voltage in response to large transient signals, which lends a certain dynamic "feel" to a tube amplifier. GZ34's have the least amount of sag, as far as common guitar amp rectifiers are concerned.

Input 2 is padded and may offer a bit cleaner sound. Keep your volume control in the moderate regions - but be aware the very nature of the Blue Angels' 6v6 mode is early breakup / sweet overdriven tone. The EL84 section will be higher power, but with that EL84 harmonic richness. The Blue Angel simply isn't about clean headroom! Also, the Mid control will add gain after 12:00 o'clock!

The Blue Angel has a tube rectifier for the power tubes and a transistor rectifier for the pre-amp tubes. The blue Angel can not change between the two like the other rectifier amps.

Latest posts

Back