New to the forum

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbo455

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum. I was directed here by Kris from Mesa. Little background about me. I been playing guitar for about 25 years or so. At the moment, I don't own any Mesa products but I use to own a dual rec. I sold it about 5 years ago or so. Why? no clue, life got in the way is the best answer I can come up with. I'm starting to get back in to playing again though. I would love to have another dual rec. Now I see the new one's are voiced a little different plus have a 50watt mode. Heard some demos and it sounds pretty **** good. Though I don't think I need that much amp plust it's two grand. I'm going to look into anyway just cause it's a dual rec. I was planning on buying a mini rec so I will check out both while im there and do a side by side. Local place has been out of the mini rec for a few weeks, hope they get one in soon so I can go try them out.

I'm done with the buy and try method. I bought a Carvin V3 head a little over a month ago. Seemed to be a pretty versatile amp going off demos. They are USA made just like Mesa so I thought I would give it a try. Seemed real muddy and fizzy to me, I thought something was wrong with it but when I sent it back, Carvin said everything was fine. I don't know, could of been an EQ thing but I just couldn't clean it up. Was like foam was covering my speakers. I know i'm a rectifier guy but.....I guess I had high hopes it. Might give it another shot down the road sometime. Carvin forums said it best though, you want a rectifier sound, buy a rectifier. Good advise, that amp was returned and I'm getting a rectifier. I will say this, that V3 ( in my opinion ) had the best clean channel I've ever heard. I almost kept that amp just for it's clean channel. Carvin's customer service was pretty good as well.

Being an ex dual rec owner, no surprise I play mostly metal. Im in my mid 30's so mostly old school stuff is my cup of tea. I play Ibanez guitars but i'm looking into Carvin guitars and might give one a try. They make some beautiful guitars.

Anyway, i'll stop rambling. I just wanted to say hello to everyone and introduce myself.

Welcome to the board. If your not planning on gigging out, I think you'll be happy with a mini-rec. I think you'll make better use out of the reduced wattage, however it's no slouch. I think you'll be surprised at how much power comes out of that little box. With that said, try them for yourself and do what seems right for you.

Welcome to the forum! :D
The Dual Rectifier has some awesome clean tones too.
That's actually one of the reasons I bought it.

My other amp is an older 5150.
It's an awesome amp but impossible to get any clean tones out of that thing. :roll:

Welcome to the forum!

About a year and a half ago I purchased my Reborn Dual Rectifier and I absolutely love it! The cleans are good and you can go all the way to full on metal. I tried the Mini Rectifier out next to the Dual Rectifier and liked the Dual Rectifier much better. I don't know if it was the EL84 tubes vs the 6L6s or what. I also liked all the additional features you get with the Dual Rectifier. 3 channels vs 2, 8 modes vs 4, Bold/Spongy variac switch vs. no switch, you can change power tubes 6L6 to EL34, on and on. It's almost twice as much, but you get so much more.

I paired mine with a 2x12 Rectifier cabinet with Vintage 30s. I run a TS-9 in front to tighten it up (Level=dimed, Tone=9 o'clock-noon, Drive=0). I use it at home in the 50w setting and it is fine for me. My wife is pretty cool though, she doesn't mind when I turn it up. You can get really great tones out of it at any volume.

Happy shopping! Try them out side by side and let your ears decide.

Welcome!

As far as I can tell, the Mini sounds more like the Single rec than the Dual. Still, it is good enough and versatile enough that I have two. Great amp, and for way more than metal. I play rock, R&B, Motown and jazz through it as well. Good clean. Lead works from blues to metal.

Very loud. I doubt you could tell between the mini and the single, except for the clean headroom at high volume.

Latest posts

Back