STR-440 or STR425 Mesa Tubes?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TremoJem

Reaction score
Which one?

I am confused.

I like smooth, warm, dynamic, sparkling, bell chime'ish not harsh or grainy.

I like nice deep lows and shimmering highs with tammed mids.

Satriani/Vai/Greg Howe sounds.

Oh well let me know what you think...thanks everyone.

hI,
i tried several times STR425 loaded into MKIIC+ and MKIV , for both cases, didn't like them.
Not grainy enough i found, nothing special. Give a try to STR430 if you can find some, interesting tubes , bright, sharp and also warm (if that makes senses :lol: ).
STR425 are working well for jazz/fusion applications

Hope it helps

I agree with MrPolatis. I have a pair of STR-425's that I've only used a couple of times. It is the quickest way to take the Mesa sound out of your Mesa and make it sound like a hotrodded Marshall is the only way I can describe it. The STR-425's (Sovtek 5881's) make for the perfect "brown sound" imho, as for the clean tones, as he pointed out, it rolls the highs off a touch and is geared a little more towards jazz/fusion, but honestly on the Mark series, being very pointedly clean anyway, I couldn't tell a heap of difference outside the R2 and Lead channels. They are a pure rock and roll tube. No heavy metal there.

The STR-440's however are more well rounded (being modeled after the Sylvania 6L6GC, but being Chinese made). While not having USA longevity, they will give you the rich creamy tones with a touch of nice modern compression. The bass is reasonably tight with lots of mids and smooth highs. Only complaint is that my pair sounded a little fuzzy, perhaps biased too cold. Still not Sylvanias (what I'm running) but does not carry the pricetag.

Thanks all.

I just looked in my case and found a set of four 430s. I took these out and retubed a few years aga with the 440s. I saved them for spares. I wonder what they sound like now. I am going to roll them to see. I don't recall them being bad just went ahead and rolled.

I will let you know.

Sorry...I rolled my tubes five years or so ago.

These are the ones I took out.

I never throw away tubes unless I know for sure they are bad.

So maybe not vintage, just used.

Sorry...newbie and I misused the "VOS".

Thanks for correcting me.

Back