Quick triple rec tone test

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R_ADKINS80

Reaction score
Original composition with sloppy double tracking. Was done purely for a tone test for recording.

http://www.netmusicians.org/files/55-richguitarsonly.mp3

Not exactly sloppy per say, just had some latency issues recording the second track and it went out of sync at times.

R_ADKINS80 said:
Original composition with sloppy double tracking. Was done purely for a tone test for recording.

Well not only did you not include a link, but how about you post up something that isn't self-labeled as sloppy? I'd rather hear you playing than hear you slopping!

Fair enough.

What guitar is this, what mics did you use?

It sounds like you're putting the mic too far away from your cab. Your tone sounds pretty gnarly, but the sound coming through on this file is a bit "distant". I can hear a lot of the reverberation of the room (ie: your triple rec is owning the **** out of wherever you're playing it hehe). Also, your palm-mutes are kind of tubby sounding. If you're using a dynamic mic, try applying a low-end cut to it to reduce some of the proximity effect. Proximity effect is an over-exaggeration of bass frequencies that occurs in uni-directional dynamic mics (ex: SM57) so if you cut out some bass frequencies at the board/mixer, you can even out the signal so it's more true to your amp.

Also, the tone seems to be lacking a bit of clarity, but I can tell that it's mostly due to mic placement. If you can, try getting a buddy to move your microphone around while you listen with headphones and yell at him when you nail a "sweet" spot. Don't be afraid to jam the microphone right into the grill-cloth if you have to. Just make sure the mic can handle the volume levels. Certain condensers will be ruined by very high SPLs.

As a side note... cool music. Reminds me of Arch Enemy. What are you tuned to, sounds like B or C? The solo in the middle is pretty rad dude.

Keep rockin', post any clips up here. If you got any questions, lemme know.

The mic is an Audio Technica mic. it's a condensor mic and from the reviews I read it's spot on for an SM57 at about half the cost. the mic placement was right on the grill cloth right at halfway from the center of the cone to the edge. I had the low end pretty low around 10:00 on the amp. mids were a bit abov noon, trebel at 1:00 and pres at 9:00. I run ch2 modern bold and Vac tubes. My guitar is an LTD Ninja 600 with 18v emg 81/89. it was Drop C tuning and i wrote the track with a solo before I even had anything of an idea of what to play under the solo so I was just chunking. Like I said it was just a really quick test to see how it would turn out. The solo was just a diminished string skipping lick that I have known for years and is pretty much the only shred type thing I know at all. I'm mainly a rhythm player.

thanks for the insight and the kind words on my stuff.

yup but with your amp sounding the way you describe it lately.....those setting won't please you one bit.

recorded it direct to an older Roland digital recorder that uses ZIP disks. Yeah I know it turned out pretty quit.

Late bump for some TR love, but it sounds like you had the mic facing the opposite direction, assuming it's a cardioid mic. The tone does sound pretty brutal though!

That thing sounds just plain pissed :twisted:

Good tone, some polish on the recording end and it sounds like you'll have some **** good material there!

Ugh, and my gas would like to say thank you for the re-ignition of my overwhelming desire to get the recto I can't afford :lol: :cry:

Latest posts

Back