G-System?????

Guitar and bass FX discussion

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned

Monsta-Tone
Donating Member

Re: G-System?????

Post by Monsta-Tone » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:13 pm

Say you are playing a song with lots of clean and heavy parts.
You are only using 2 presets.
Do you have to preset the button for each preset when you want to change them, or can you program the buttons to go back to the previous preset?
Elvis said.......
Amp techs do get shocked. :shock:

joeydego
Mark I

Post by joeydego » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:42 pm

Monsta-Tone wrote:Say you are playing a song with lots of clean and heavy parts.
You are only using 2 presets.
Do you have to preset the button for each preset when you want to change them, or can you program the buttons to go back to the previous preset?
Not too clear on what you're asking. I'll describe what I do, hope it helps. My amp is 3 channels (triple rec). I have my 3 meat and potato sounds in bank 1,2, and 3 for each channel. When I step on 2, it switches the amp to the middle channel, same with 1 goes to clean and 3 goes to 3. I have other song specific presets but I'm on these 3 90% of the night. If I need to go clean to heavy, its just a matter of stepping on bank 2 to get me to my heavy sound. To go to clean, I then step on bank 1. Loops are instant and noiseless. Any attenuation from your guitar will cause a need for adjustment input level. The eq from the amp, not sure if that'll cause you to hit the loop harder. Last thing, I assigned the G sys boost button to activate the solo function of the head, the boost on the g is locked off.
If you need to know, click below
http://www.brucesokolovic.com

screamingdaisy
Donating Member

Post by screamingdaisy » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:31 pm

Similar thing for me.

Bank 1
1) Clean w/ light delay
2) Clean w/ thick chorus and delay
3) Dry rhythm
4) Lead with slapback delay
5) Lead with compressor and long delay
Boost - triggers solo boost on amp.

Bank 2
1) Clean w/ reverb
2) Dry rhythm
3) Dry lead

I had an OD808 in one of the loops but I preferred using the built in compressor instead.
Ignore the hype and trust your ears. Play more, buy less = better tone.

joeydego
Mark I

Post by joeydego » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:39 pm

screamingdaisy wrote:Similar thing for me.

Bank 1
1) Clean w/ light delay
2) Clean w/ thick chorus and delay
3) Dry rhythm
4) Lead with slapback delay
5) Lead with compressor and long delay
Boost - triggers solo boost on amp.

Bank 2
1) Clean w/ reverb
2) Dry rhythm
3) Dry lead

I had an OD808 in one of the loops but I preferred using the built in compressor instead.
I gave away my dyna comp and tremonti wah, the G blows both out of the water. Even the auto wah on the g sounds better than that one I had did.

screamingdaisy
Donating Member

Post by screamingdaisy » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:30 pm

joeydego wrote: I gave away my dyna comp and tremonti wah, the G blows both out of the water. Even the auto wah on the g sounds better than that one I had did.
Interesting. I haven't messed with the G-Systems wah yet. Despite liking digital for delay and modulation I still have a bias against it for other things and thus I just kind of assumed a digital wah would sound like crap.

Sounds like I need to get an expression pedal and start experimenting. :lol:

joeydego
Mark I

Post by joeydego » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:24 pm

The wah from the 1st song in my signature line on my site, Peaches and Creme, is the G's auto wah. (Gibson LP custom and a triple rec, tube screamer up front as well).

Monsta-Tone
Donating Member

Post by Monsta-Tone » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:31 pm

So.....
I have pretty much set all of my levels and have a few more questions.....

1. When you set your loop levels (according to page 34 of the White Pages), do you pay attention to the clip meter on the front of the G, or do you just use your ears?
- I used the clip meter (when the LED turned red, I turned the channel Master volume down a bit).
- I noticed a little bit of loss in tone. I am guessing that this is because I am not pushing the inputs on the G and the power amp of my DC as much.

2. Should I just use my ears and not worry about the red LED?
- I noticed that when I plugged my guitar into the input of the G and used the 4 cable method, that the input LED's only go half way up, so I am nowhere near clipping. I'm thinking that I can go a little bit hotter with the channel Master volumes.

3. Did any of you guys end up having to use the Ebtech Line Level Shifter to keep your amp from clipping the Loop?

4. What are your settings in the Global Levels Menu?

5. What are you guys using for a Solo boost?
- My amp does not have the Solo function from the factory, although I could easily add it.
- I have been using my GEQ for a solo boost, but was afraid that I would run into clipping issues if I used it like this with the G.
- Also, I have started using the GEQ in the "V" setting, and really like the results, so I want to keep that there.
- I tried the Solo boost function with the G, but don't really like the tone when the Solo is not engaged because it just attenuates the normal tone.

You guys have been great! I post things on the TC forum and nobody ever replies.
Elvis said.......

screamingdaisy
Donating Member

Post by screamingdaisy » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:30 am

This may sound odd, but your ears are a really poor judge of tone. They're finely attuned to hear differences in sound but net very attuned to judge quality.

Long story short, any time you turn down the volume your ears will perceive that as a reduction in tone even though it really nothing but a reduction in volume. Turn the master volume back up to compensate and your tone will magically be restored.

joeydego
Mark I

Post by joeydego » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:37 am

I hit the red all the time, but am not constantly in the red. I'm pretty sure that's fine. I think red was set conservatively in the design.

joeydego
Mark I

Post by joeydego » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:40 am

As far as boost I use the amps solo channel

Monsta-Tone
Donating Member

Post by Monsta-Tone » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:44 am

Thank you guys again for all of your help!
I have several presets programmed in for some of our songs.
I had some noise issues, so I ended up getting an Ebtech HE-2 & a Hosa TRS 8 cable snake (couldn't find a 4 cable snake).

One thing I noticed though, is that my amp sounds completely different with the 4 cable method.
I do not like what it does to the clean channel! The amp seems to loose all of it's sparkle and it breaks up faster.
Also, the lead channel sounds more grainy and not nearly as crunchy with the 4CM.

Maybe the levels need adjusting a little more. They are slightly different from the White Pages settings. Loop level is lower and the headroom is at 6db.

I think I will give my ears a rest tonight and try it again tomorrow after work.
I am leaning toward running my guitar straight into the amp and only using the G in the loop. That might be the ticket for getting the amp's tone back to where it should be.
Elvis said.......

Mrjason
Mark I

Post by Mrjason » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:24 am

I am leaning toward running my guitar straight into the amp and only using the G in the loop. That might be the ticket for getting the amp's tone back to where it should be.
That is the key imo. You lose allot of chime using the 4 cable method with the G system. Overdrives dont sound very good in the loops compaired to the front end either.
The chorus and delays sound great in the loop and those are the effects I use the most. I tweaked every possible way to get my amp to sound like its plugged straight in and after living in denial for a while .... I chose to plug straight in!
PRS Custom 24 - 10 top - Whale Blue
Fender Strat Plus - Cream
American Standard Strat - Red
Yairi Alvarez DY-62C
Mesa Mark V Head
Mesa 2X12 Horizontal Recto Cab
Mesa 1X12 3/4 Back Widebody Cab
TC Electronics G System

Monsta-Tone
Donating Member

Post by Monsta-Tone » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:42 am

I'm much happier with a G-Major 2 in the loop, and GCP.

I really liked the G-System, but it was just way too much for what I need.
The best quote I read about it was, "At first I really liked the G-Sys. Then, I didn't."
Pretty much sums it up for me!
Elvis said.......

Heritage Softail
Mark IV

Post by Heritage Softail » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:28 am

I have been following this thread since the G is supposed to be very good and I would like a good effects unit.

So Monsta, in the end, is it worth it? To get a good verb, chorus, delay, comp, is it better than a few really trusty old pedals and an RJM amp gizmo type setup?
Mesa MK IIC, DSL100, Dr Z Maz 38 NR, Bogner Uberschall Twin Jet purple mod, 5153, Rectoverb S2

JP6, LP, SG, Anderson Pro-Am, Suhr, PRS, Strat, Tele, assorted victims of pentatonic hacking.

Gone - MKV, Single Rectifier, Rivera K-Tre

18 year chip.

Monsta-Tone
Donating Member

Post by Monsta-Tone » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:07 am

I really like the delays on TC gear.
Almost exactly a year ago, I had a G-Major 2 and GCP setup.
I thought I wanted a more simple setup, so I sold it and bought a few decent (and a few expensive pedals).
Over the course of the last year, I found myself going for more and more TC pedals.
Also over the course of the last year, my band actually started heading in a direction and becoming extremely creative! Now that we have a singer, and I'm not trying to sing, I have realized that it would be incredible to have the power to completely change my amp's tone and the sounds I'm making with the push of one button, not a bunch of buttons.

I tried the G-System because it was pretty cheap used. $700 was a great deal I thought.
I really liked the FX, and the thought of having multiple FX in front of the amp as well as in the loop was a great idea.
The channel switching was just icing on the cake!

I quickly realized though that, even with Laird's White Papers, there was no way I was going to have the same tones if I used the 4 Cable Method. It just wasn't there. Plus....I had a lot of noise issues. Not just hum on the lead channel, but hiss and white noise as well.
I tried a TRS balanced snake and an Ebtech Hum Eliminator. This really helped, but not completely. My amp still had issues with noise and the amp just had no sparkle. I was using my DC-5 at the time, which sounded really great with nothing but a wah and tuner in front of it.
When I plugged the G into just the loop, all of my noise and tone issues went away.
The DC-5 just did not like anything but regular pedals in front of it. I had been using a Rocktron Patchmate Floor with my pedals, but it had it's own set of issues with noise and tone suckage!

If I used super short cables, the problem still existed when I ran the 4CM. The noise was considerably less when I just used the G in the loop and had it do my channel switching too. This meant only 3 cables going to the amp from the G.
The switching relays were super slow too. The added 20' of cable length probably contributed to this as well, but I had to search for the fastest relay out of the 4 available and use that for my channel switching.

The real kicker was that the Loop on the DC-5 was clipping at super low volumes. I had the clean Master set at about 1.5 and it was still clipping!
With all of the menus and the clipping, and the noise, and the slow switching, I just decided to sell it.

The G-Major 2 doesn't have all of the FX or the functionality of the G-Sys, but it's dead quiet, the relays are a bit faster (still slow though), much easier to program and hookup, and there are Input & Output knobs on the front.
Plus....If I want FX in front of the amp, I can always pickup a G-Major 1 for under $200 to use with it.
I miss the tuner being on the footswitch, but that's about it.

I do need to get a GCX now though to be able to ad pedals into different tones, but that's a different story.
Also, I picked up a Mark IVa and a Rectoverb combo since then for super great prices, so I won't have as many noise issues as I did with the DC.
Both of these amps seem to have less issues with what is placed in front of the amp.

Sorry for the rant. I think it was combination of lack of time on my part, funky amp impedance or grounding, overly complicated processor that just made me want to go in a different direction.
Elvis said.......