The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Three speakers
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:01 am 
Bottle Rocket

I have three speakers that I would like to use in my Lonestar classic combo. One is the speaker that's in the combo unit which is 8 ohms. The other two in the extention cab are each 16 ohm wired parallel to make 8 ohms. The speakers all sound better when plugged into the 8 ohm on the amp, especially the extention cab. Would plugging the third (combo) speaker into the 4 ohm jack do damage to the amp or is there a way to combine all three speakers into the 8 ohm jack in the back of the amp? I would like to use all three at 8 ohm on the amp if possible. If not I just don't use the combo speaker. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Three speakers
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:41 am 

eship63 wrote:
I have three speakers that I would like to use in my Lonestar classic combo. One is the speaker that's in the combo unit which is 8 ohms. The other two in the extention cab are each 16 ohm wired parallel to make 8 ohms. The speakers all sound better when plugged into the 8 ohm on the amp, especially the extention cab. Would plugging the third (combo) speaker into the 4 ohm jack do damage to the amp or is there a way to combine all three speakers into the 8 ohm jack in the back of the amp? I would like to use all three at 8 ohm on the amp if possible. If not I just don't use the combo speaker. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

It is very important to always match speaker loads to the output transformer.

With two 8 ohm loads (8 ohm cabinet, 8 ohm combo speaker), they should both be plugged into the 4 ohm jacks (two 8 ohm loads in parallel equals 4 ohms) to correctly match the output transformer.

This, and other speaker load senarios are explained in your owners manual.

Dom

'01 Recto 4X12 Slant
'04 Recto 4X12 Slant/Straight
'74 Les Paul Custom
'95 American Strat
'12 Les Paul Signature T
Slinky's & Jazz III's
Voodoo Labs MIDI
==> NOMAD on Facebook <==