New Fender Amps..

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mndgs59

Reaction score
Hello, I'm considering buying a new guitar amp. Mesa is certainly high on my list. I'm also looking at the new Fender 'Reissues'. ( '65 super reverb ; twin / '68 vibrolux ; twin, etc. ) 65 reissues are USA built; 68's- mexico. I have very little info. about the reliability and build quality of new Fender amps. Are they worth the asking price ? About 1200. to 1500. for the above models. I'm also considering a Lonestar standard 1x12. Any thoughts? Thanks, Rich :|

It really depends what you want from your amp. All amps are tradeoffs in my experience, and the choices depend on how you want to use it and your own personal preferences...such as...

Tell us more about how you plan to use the amp (home play, small club play, large club play, touring, recording, with discrete pedals, without pedals, with midi switchers, with multi effects units etc...) and you'll probably get better advice on amp selection. Your style/genre of music might also suggest what kind of amp and or cabinet you want - if considering running a head and separate cab. But the Mesa amps I mention below are all available as combos or as heads. Those fenders are all combos (well there are some deluxe reverb heads out there used)

It might also help to know what you like more: major tone flexibility and capability from the amp (like multi channels, effects loops, reverb, solo boost, on tap from a footswitch) or simplicity. A Fender amp is pretty simple to dial in. But in my experiece they can be loud and hard to tame for home players who don't like to play that loud. A multi-channel Mesa can be more complicated but also offer a lot more sounds right off the amp as well as the ability to get them at lower volumes due to having master volume controls also a lot more footswitchable functionality than a fender reissue. Also with a Fender blackface/silverface reissue you have to drive it hard to get into the amp's overdrive if you like dirtier tones. The Mesas usually weigh more, though not always -depends on the model.

I loved my fenders. I loved all my Mesas. After I bought a Mark V head and a TC-50 combo I sold everything else I had. I've had many fenders including several from the 65 reissue line. Never had any problems with any of them. You really can't go wrong with a fender or a mesa, both also hold their value fairly well compared to some other brands should you decide to sell later, and both attract buyers. Any line can have quality issues but I wouldn't be too worried about it with fender or mesa. But it's all about what YOU like and how YOU plan to use it.

You might also tell us what you play through now and what you like and dislike about it.

You might also take a look at the Mesa Fillmore line if you like the Fender reissues. It looks like it's designed to compete with them but offer multiple channels. I haven't played the filmore, personally but it looks interesting. I thought the 25 watt combo looked like a direct competitor to the 65/68 deluxe reverb for just a little more money with 2 channels. But both makers have broad lines so thinking about what you want from your amp will help a lot in picking one.

I've owned both the '68 custom Vibrolux and the '68 custom deluxe reverb. Both great amps and never had an issue with either. They seemed very well made. Loved the reverb, vibrato (works on both channels with those amps) and of course the clean tone. What I didn't like about them is if you want anything other than a clean tone, you've got to use pedals. I have about 1/2 dozen OD and distortion pedals. Keeley modded TS-9, Fulltone OCD, Suhr Riot Re-loaded, Wampler Pinnacle 2, Boss BD-2. Only the modded Keeley pedal sounded good with either of those amps. Seems every manufactorer uses the phrase "takes pedals well" for every model of amp they produce. Well, I do not believe that is the case with the Fender '68 custom amps. So bottom line, they're kind of a one trick pony IMO. But they're fantastic at what they do.

I gave up on those amps and went with a Suhr Badger 30. The newer version. No need for OD pedals with that amp, but it doesn't have reverb so I have to use a reverb pedal. I've also recently picked up a Mesa Mark 5 35 and have to say, it is the most versatile amp I have ever owned. It does everything well. I actually think it does Fender cleans as good as the Fender amps I owned. Originally, I was using the Suhr as my main gigging amp (it's in the head format) and my Mesa Mark 5 35 combo as a "grab and go" amp. It's nicely self contained. Even has a pocket in the cabinet for the footswitch. But I grew to start liking the Mesa so much that it also became my main gigging amp. Did have an issue with it though and it had to go back to Mesa. Hopefully just a fluke.

A couple other things I didn't like about the Fender amps. No effects loop, no master volume, and no middle EQ control. I've come to find all three of those are must haves for me from here on out. Supposedly the Fenders have a "fixed" mid setting that would be somewhere around 6.5. I don't know for certain, that's only what I've heard. I like a little adjustability of the mids and you just don't get that with the Fender '68 custom series.

I really like the 68 Princeton reissue. Low wattage, but at around 7 (anything north of 4) you get some really good power tube gain.

I think Fender made a commendable effort with the reissues they've put out lately but in my opinion they miss the mark.

I would suggest that in many cases you can get a clean original example for less than the cost of a new "reissue" that doesn't quite capture the tone of the original. Have that original amp fully serviced and it'll be good for many years to come.

I favor the Pro Reverb model above all other Fenders. The earlier years of the silverface Pro Reverb are blackface amps in every way except for the silver faceplate, and are undervalued. The aluminum drip edge frame is a positive indicator that the circuit is still all blackface.

Even if it's a later example (without master volume control) then the changes required to make it a blackface circuit once again are trivial to any decent amp tech. They concern only a few component value changes relating to the phase inverter tube circuit.

The later silverface models that are identified by their 70 watt output rating, among other changes, including the addition of 2 midrange controls and a master volume, are still great amps but they are clean amps that don't break up like a blackface does. Since the whole output stage has been completely redesigned including changing the output transformer to an ultralinear transformer, it can't be "blackfaced" but makes one heck of a pedal platform and its clean tone will be remarkably good.

Latest posts

Back