You just gotta give it a try ...Tube Content

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edward

Reaction score
I am a tube experimenter. I stop when I find the "right" recipe that suits my ears. But I have to admit, I like "personalizing" the tone of an amp that I already like to one that I can really love. I've done this to a number of my Boogies and Fenders. It is a time-consuming task, and also takes a willingness to "eat it" as experiments don't always pan out. But when they do ...it's a homerun!

So that said, after some judicious swapping and trial/error, I found a few things about my 5:25.

The Stock Mesa EL84s are ok. Not great, but not horrible. It's a high-gainer tube, and with it comes punch, sizzle, and highs that can lop the head off Gulliver. I didn't find mine "unpleasing" as much as I just compensated for it by rolling off treb at the amp and guitar (strat and tele, typically). But if you want smoother top end with "rounder' overall tone and solid firm bass, a pair of NOS RCA tubes are gorgeous!

Couple this with a NOS Mullard in V2 (the first gain stage on the express), and the whole amp just feels more "bouncy" and lively with "fendery BF" feel. The gain is less, to be sure, which seems to not only attenuate the highs, but also lend a cleaner and more defined punch to the lows more than the stock tubes. I also had a USA NOS ax7 I popped ito V1. Can't say I noticed much in the V1 swap, though. But the Mullard in the V2 was definitely more note detail and punchy without the hard highs. BTW, whereas I had the treb on the amp around 8:00 or so, now I can actually bring up the treb knob to what I think are more "useful" settings like closer to 11:00 to 12:00 depending on single coils or buckers.

I like the TungSol ReIssue 12AX7s in general ...just a good, pleasing tube IMHO that is rounder (again, less "edge" than the Mesa stock ones ...but the nice thing is I don't seem to sacrifice any gain whatsoever with these TS RI ones. I popped them into V3 and V4 and seemed to add another small increment of "less icepick" ...but not the same dramatic improvement with the Mullard into V2.

Overall, my semiclean tones are rich, full-bodied, and lush. The single biggest plus to me was taking the edge off the highs to make the whole personality of the amp less aggressive, even with the OD cranked in Crunch channel …just nicer all around. The one trade off you will make, of course, is less overall gain on tap. Metal and uber-gain users will not make use of this recipe, but for all other playing/style, I like the significant improvement!

Reverb: I think the express has way too much verb on tap, and that makes the reverb on tap a very sensitive knob in the fist 30% of its range. Enter a 12at7 here in V5. I happen to use a NOS Mullard 12at7 (same as a CV4024) but I tried it also with another 12at7: same results so a NOS doesn’t necessarily help in this case. What I ended up with though, is less reverb overall, which gives a better usable range on the knob, and also less touchy. But the best thing about the at7 here is the reverb’s decay is shorter than with the ax7. So you can still dial in a lot of verb, but it will decay faster, which is a plus, to me, when live. Notes are clearer, and not muddied by long decay of delay.

Bottom line is you gotta try some of this. You may hate it : afterall, we’re dealing with personal tone impressions here. But if you are not a super high-gain player (still easily reaches ACDC or EVH levels of saturation), then you just may want to try this. Just food for thought since I have just come off playing for hours. The 5:25 I “liked” when I first got it I now really love because its tone/dynamics fits my style better. Hope this helps someone out there :)

Edward

Thanks, Edward.
I found your post REALLY interesting. Definitely gonna give that V2 substitute a try. I had some trouble with the Mesa EL84s (one was noisy) and changed them for JJs with pleasing results.
I have an old Studio 22 Boogie that I've customized with tube changes and a WEBER Blue Dog speaker. Its gorgeous. When I first got the 5:25 I immediately started trying various tube substitutions and also put a Weber Blue Pup speaker in. Eventually I realized I'd made it sound too much like the Studio 22! It had lost its character. So I put all the original mesa 12AX7s back in. The things we do!
I'll try the V2 idea, though, thanks.
Bill.

Excellent info edward, THANKS!

I was wondering about the lower gain tube for the reverb, I agree its too much verb. I have an AT7 so I'm gonna try this as soon as Mesa sends me that replacement reverb unit......

I also do not like the Mesa tubes, I use TungSols (and JJ) too. But some of the 5751's - Amperex and Sylvania - are really nice.

Cool, guys ...glad to share.

As a side note, if you have hot EL84s in there (and the Mesa ones are definitely higher OP than NOS-ers), then I found the 12AT7 in the PI worked great ...attenuating the harsh/edgy highs and lending a more solid bottom end. That's what I had done initially a few weeks ago.

But now with the NOS RCA EL84s in, the AT7 in the PI cut too much output. My OD was a bit weak with single coils, and just lacked girth overall, even with buckers. The 12AX7 in the PI brought the gain back to where it should be. But the added smoothness of the RCA blackplates really made the difference! The bottom is fuller and distinctly more solid; and the "edgy" quality of the highs just became smooth, clear highs ...the way it should be.

Methinks the Mesa tubes just push too much ...for my taste, anyway. I suppose the design tips more toward agressive, in-your-face tone. Now the whole amp is less aggressive, not as "hard-edged," adopting a "rounder" tone and vibe altogether. Old-school Fender BFs come to mind; and the lovely tones of Victorias (and other BF-clones). But as nice as some of those amps are (and they are IMHO fabulous tone machines for that furry semi-clean richness), what they can't do is Boogie lead tone. Hahaha, now I've got old school vibe meets liquidy-rich OD! Just a great amp, IMHO!

Oh, and FWIW to others who may be new to this tube-swap thing, every swap is an experiment and I never take any swap for granted. I always A/B back and forth a few times to make sure there is no placebo effect (or "Hawthorne effect" where any change is pereceived as an improvement). What you hear is everything; what is printed on the glass is just a guideline :)

Edward

edward said:
But the added smoothness of the RCA blackplates really made the difference!

I would be really curious to know how the blackplates perform when you crank the master full on for that singing clean sustain Allman Bros effect..... do they keep pace with the volume levels? I've heard that the tone is outstanding with those RCA's....

soundchaser59 said:
edward said:
But the added smoothness of the RCA blackplates really made the difference!

I would be really curious to know how the blackplates perform when you crank the master full on for that singing clean sustain Allman Bros effect..... do they keep pace with the volume levels? I've heard that the tone is outstanding with those RCA's....

Hey Gary,

Wth the gain up, anywhere 70-100% in Crunch mode, contour around 10:00, the tone is thick, smooth, and creamy in its saturation. Allman tone is backed down to maybe 12-1:00 on the gain (with sc pups or low-output buckers). Zero issues with amp up loud ...and I mean loud. Just clear, singing tone, at well beyond even loud-band-mix volume. But I don't dime the master and back down the guitar volume as some players do ...just not how I use an amp. Great tubes these RCAs ...in concert with good ax7s in V2, V1, and PI, the tone is lovely, truly.

Sidenote: as I was switching tubes doing the A/B thing, I accidently flipped to the 5w mode ...the mode I hate and even posted about. Guess what, while I still have no great love for 5w mode, it now sounds much better than with the stock tubes in 5W! I don't get it. But for whatever reason, these tubes make me almost (just "almost" ;) ) consider trying 5W again. ehhhh, or maybe not :D

Sidenote #2: For anyone interested in good old tubes, do a search for "Dan S" in TGP ...awesome seller with whom I am very much clearly satisfied!

Edward

Back