Would you sell your mesaboogie?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fastforded

Reaction score
Just wondering thoughts. Don't play it anymore, just sits there. Hate to see it go, not sure if it's worth keeping for investments sake...

Mark 3 blue stripe combo serviced by Mike like 2015ish. Haven't really played it in years...

Not playing any guitar, or just not making use of the Mark III? I still have regrets after selling the Mark III blue stripe combo I had. At least I knew it went to a good home and it gets used and enjoyed by the new owner.

I have several amps I am not using. However, I do rotate my gear on occasion. I would probably miss some of the amps if I sold them.

Do you need the money right now, or is it taking up space that you really need? If either is true it is reasonable to sell, but if you can afford to hang on to it and don’t need the space for something else, I think it’s always better to hold on to it. But I am something of a hoarder when it comes to gear.

The Mark V is the last amp I'll ever have to buy, I'll never sell it. It's my 10th amp but only the first that I really enjoy and don't have to fight with to get a half-decent sound. It's everything I need in an amp.
But if you're not using something, it's probably best to sell it to someone that will. Instruments want to be played. It's a waste for a nice creative tool to just be sitting stagnant.

As an investment I have a hard time seeing Mark IIIs appreciating much more (as a collectible I mean) than they're at right now unless the amp has a player connection and/or is minty minty showroom mint. Prices are already down a little from a year and a half ago.

It's been probably 30 years since anybody more famous than Trey Anastasio or that guy in NOFX has played one live, and everybody with hair metal or fusion nostalgia is heading into their downsizing years. So I don't think you're going to be kicking yourself for selling it in that sense. If you have a use for the money, cash in now!

Personally I have an eight-month rule, any piece of gear I haven't used in eight months has to go even if I'm underwater on it. But I'm not much of a collector and I'm not a real sentimental guy hahaha

Last edited:
I had a V for 12 years and thought I would never sell it….but I did. Mesa Quad too. I had got the quad when they were found for like 7-800 bucks before Covid and sold it for considerably more last year. I felt pressure to sell while the market was up as it wasn’t my primary amp. Change just happens. Sometimes we regret it, sometimes not. Years can go by and you realize that amp you had 20 years ago is home after all.

The older I get the more I feel like I can find a guitar or amp that will work for me with everything that’s available. Whether I can afford it or not though is ever changing. Because prices blew up so badly from Covid, I often find myself thinking about my favorite guitar and amp, whether I could afford, or even find another one later if I sold it now. A lot of times, that’s a no, so I hold on to them.

I’m not inclined to sell anything unless there’s something I really want to replace it with or the Dentist is looming….lol

I held onto a MKV90 for years hoping one day I’d get ‘that’ tone. After 6 or 7 years of trying I finally sold it. I was playing it on and off but never really clicked with it.

I have a Stiletto Deuce II that I rarely play but I don’t think I’d ever sell it, it’s a great amp for that tweaked Marshall sound. I modded it for adjustable bias and run 6CA7’s on the hot side, sounds glorious when cranked, but it really needs that volume.

I have a Marshall DSL100H that I’m holding onto just to own a Marshall LOL. I’ve modded it quite a bit and run 6550’s in it, it gets the job done but nothing like my Deuce. It is a great pedal platform amp though.

I’m playing my TC-100’s a bit more lately, I’d say those are a keeper as well.

I’ve flipped dozens of amps over the years, I usually know within a dozen or so rehearsals with an amp if it’s a keeper or not.

Now my Roadster, that’s my desert island amp. I’ll never part with it, ever. Not only does it sound and play great, that thing’s been with me since 2007, and has traveled the northern East Coast a few times, we’ve been through thick and thin together LOL.

Dom

My active musician days were in the 70s and 80s. At the beginning of the 90s I bought the Mark IV Combo, a fine wood version, new. An extremely versatile and also very nice amplifier in my collection. It is only used occasionally in private settings at home. I would never sell it!

Attachments

• 20240509_093648.jpg
    20240509_093648.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 0
Put it in a convenient spot where you usually play and it's easy to just take cover off and turn it on so you can play it. It's usually in a spot where it's a chore to use it that puts us off.Play it a few days ..you'll see you'll want to keep it.
I tell you with all these pop up ads I can hardly write this.

Amps usually don't do well just sitting and not getting used. Best to use them or sell them to somebody that will. Just my 2Cents!

Latest posts

Back