would I notice much difference putting a tung sol in V1 ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you guys for the info...
One last Q, thou.
I can't seem to get hold of Mullard 12AT7 localy, as I am in the hurry I don't have the time to buy it online.
What other brand should I use instead?

Bisconne said:
Thank you guys for the info...
One last Q, thou.
I can't seem to get hold of Mullard 12AT7 localy, as I am in the hurry I don't have the time to buy it online.
What other brand should I use instead?

I put a GT 12AT7 in V6 on my roadster. I love what it did for my cleans.

cheameup said:
I have the euro tubes fav front end at the moment .all jj's

amp sounds great . no problems with it. I didnt notice much differnce when I replace the stock tubes...
In my experience it might not be a good idea to change ALL your tubes to JJ's; probably you might want to experiment with something else, since your sound might get a bit muddy.

cheameup said:
If I drop the $20 on it what can i expect it in v1 ? much of a difference or just tiny changes like the euro tubes set ?
You'll notice, believe me!! Another nice option for V1 could be an Electro-Harmonix... or Tung-Sol in V1 and EH in V2. Much better than "all-JJ's" kit.

Heya all

Been a while

A final note on the tung sol. I just got around to trying it. My amp was feeling really flat and still had stock power tubes so got a new quad and got a gold pin tung sol at the same time

And it sounds amazing. Don't know how much Is the tung in v1 and how much is the new 6l6s but the crunch and sound are back big time

I was very tempted to grab a quad of tung sol 6l6s instead of jj's but didn't know much about them so stayed with the jj's

Edit - I just got a few hours on the amp and I have no doubt it sounds allot better than the day I bought it. It def needed new power tubes but as many say the tung sol in v1 took a blanket off the amp. for the $25 the tube cost me here in oz it's more than worth a try.

screamingdaisy said:
kick6 said:
What's the difference between a tung-sol 12ax7 and a standard mesa one? I understand that they change tone, but what's the reason for it?

Like Dom said... it's all in how they're made.

Typically, I find JJ ECC83s (what Mesa is currently using for stock tubes) is darker and lower in gain than most other tubes. Some like them because they're smoother and they don't emphasize the treble frequencies... thus cutting down on high gain fizz. Me personally, I find they sound like there's a blanket over my cab and it feels like I'm playing a piece of wet cardboard.

Tung-Sols are typically brighter and produce more gain. They have a lot more detail and harmonics compared to JJs. I could explain it all day, but you'll understand with so much more clarity once you try it for yourself. The trade off is that the brighter/more harmonics can lead to more harshness and fizz.... however I consider it a worthwhile trade.

I'm currently running just a single Tung-Sol in the V1 with the remainder being JJ. I really like the result. The V1 is the most important tube tonally as it has the most influence on the sound your amp produces. I think in this case the Tung-Sol is creating a defined tone right off the hop, and the JJs are smoothing it out as it moves through each subsequent gain stage. Normally I have a pretty big bias against JJs (not a fan), but in this case I'm really happy with the results.

Man, I can't thank you enough for posting this above....as well as everyone else that has chimed in who are more adept at experimenting w/their Recs than I am (I have a Road King II v2). When I read this, to be honest, I was a little skeptical (God knows why), but when you mentioned the "blanket over the cab" thing...it has always been a feeling I've had with mine. I have a combo w/C90's and a Recto 2x12 w/V30's...and really had to turn the treble way up and the bass WAY down...to rid the somewhat muddy/muffled sound.

I read your thread and figured "what the hell". I ordered the Tung-Sol and put it in V1 and WOW...what a incredible difference to my ears. It has made 2 of my guitars in particular come alive. The difference is remarkable, actually. The tube I took out of that position said "Mesa - Russian" or something like that. Why Mesa doesn't put the Tung-Sol in there stock, I'll never figure out.

I could go on and on, but just wanted to say "thanks". I'm so in love w/my Road King right now because of this change.

One last question: Should I change ALL those 12AX7 tubes to Tung-Sol?

BoogieMan_SC said:
screamingdaisy said:
kick6 said:
What's the difference between a tung-sol 12ax7 and a standard mesa one? I understand that they change tone, but what's the reason for it?

Like Dom said... it's all in how they're made.

Typically, I find JJ ECC83s (what Mesa is currently using for stock tubes) is darker and lower in gain than most other tubes. Some like them because they're smoother and they don't emphasize the treble frequencies... thus cutting down on high gain fizz. Me personally, I find they sound like there's a blanket over my cab and it feels like I'm playing a piece of wet cardboard.

Tung-Sols are typically brighter and produce more gain. They have a lot more detail and harmonics compared to JJs. I could explain it all day, but you'll understand with so much more clarity once you try it for yourself. The trade off is that the brighter/more harmonics can lead to more harshness and fizz.... however I consider it a worthwhile trade.

I'm currently running just a single Tung-Sol in the V1 with the remainder being JJ. I really like the result. The V1 is the most important tube tonally as it has the most influence on the sound your amp produces. I think in this case the Tung-Sol is creating a defined tone right off the hop, and the JJs are smoothing it out as it moves through each subsequent gain stage. Normally I have a pretty big bias against JJs (not a fan), but in this case I'm really happy with the results.

Man, I can't thank you enough for posting this above....as well as everyone else that has chimed in who are more adept at experimenting w/their Recs than I am (I have a Road King II v2). When I read this, to be honest, I was a little skeptical (God knows why), but when you mentioned the "blanket over the cab" thing...it has always been a feeling I've had with mine. I have a combo w/C90's and a Recto 2x12 w/V30's...and really had to turn the treble way up and the bass WAY down...to rid the somewhat muddy/muffled sound.

I read your thread and figured "what the hell". I ordered the Tung-Sol and put it in V1 and WOW...what a incredible difference to my ears. It has made 2 of my guitars in particular come alive. The difference is remarkable, actually. The tube I took out of that position said "Mesa - Russian" or something like that. Why Mesa doesn't put the Tung-Sol in there stock, I'll never figure out.

I could go on and on, but just wanted to say "thanks". I'm so in love w/my Road King right now because of this change.

One last question: Should I change ALL those 12AX7 tubes to Tung-Sol?

I'm with you man. I started this thread and I've now had about 10 hours with the tung sol and there's no doubt in my mind it's taken then amp to a new level. I find it has way more bright crunch but in the really good way.Bright but not harsh. Mesa should be putting it in stock no doubt.

Funny thing is my electric with the bkp nailbombs has always been my number 1 guitar, but with the tung in v1 my SD alt8 in my other guitar is really giving it a run for its money. it's like the tung emphasizes every nice frequency in the alt 8

cheameup said:
I'm with you man. I started this thread and I've now had about 10 hours with the tung sol and there's no doubt in my mind it's taken then amp to a new level. I find it has way more bright crunch but in the really good way.Bright but not harsh. Mesa should be putting it in stock no doubt.

Funny thing is my electric with the bkp nailbombs has always been my number 1 guitar, but with the tung in v1 my SD alt8 in my other guitar is really giving it a run for its money. it's like the tung emphasizes every nice frequency in the alt 8

Agree with you 100%. Bright crunch but in a very musical and dynamic way. It's not fizzy whatsoever, really. I can get it to sound crunchy, on Channel 3, like my JCM 800 if I dial it in that way.

But like you said with a particular few of your guitars, it has completely changed the tone and how it reacts w/the amp.

I didn't try it with all of my guitars because I only put it in there late last night and tested it out on 2 Fender Strats...one has a mahogany body w/Seymour Antiquities in the neck/middle and a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates in the bridge...it's a tonally warm/dark sounding guitar, but very punchy. Now the thing just freaking sings...the difference is night/day. The other strat has an alder body w/the same pickups and it sounds clucky/glassy and bright as ever...not as noticeable of a difference, but still for the better.

I'll give it a run tonight with a Les Paul Standard and a '52 Vintage Reissue Tele and a '52 Vintage Hot Rod Tele, but I know I'll like the outcome...again, thanks to all. It's like I've purchased a brand new amp, to be honest. It tightened up the somewhat flubby bottom-end w/brighter highs and mids. I've recently in the last 2 months changed out the 6L6's and EL34's (ordered directly from Mesa), but maybe the 12AX7's were getting tired or something?

I'm going to re-dial in all the channels.

Fishing for opinions here: Should I change out ALL those 12AX7 tubes?

No, not all at once. Try the V2 tube and see what difference it does. The further you get away from the V1 tube, the lesser the effect.

Personally I prefer a GT Mullard RI in V1 and a low gain tube in V2. Nice crunch and definition, but cleans up alot better when rolling down the volume on my guitar. May be going all NOS, but that's a different thread :wink:

Back