Worried that I could have done damage to my DC5! Help!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

el34

Reaction score
Well I was removing the bright cap off channel one and had everything back together. Then I turned it on and didn't hear anything of course and then I realized I forgot to plug the speaker back in. Then I shut it down. Well I played though it for about a hour and didn't hear anything bad so far. If I damaged the amp by doing this, would I know this soon?

Yeah that happening could be bad. However if it is working fine now then it isn't damaged. Most cases it just shortens the life of your tubes a bit. I've down the same to my DC5 on accident and it worked fine afterwards. You'd know if something was broken. If it's working normal now it's fine

If the speaker was not left unplugged for very long and the amp works the way it used to, you should be fine.

I've done this a few times while working on amps. It will cause no damage as long as you turn the amp off QUICKLY!!!

One thing I have seen damaged from this (your amp would not work if this happened and there would be lots of green smoke) is that the filament traces on the circuit board will burn up like a fuse.
Not sure why this happens and I haven't had my coffee yet, so can't think that far in advance.

Long story shortened severely.....your amp is ok, just don't do it again!

Thanks for the response guys. I can sleep better now. I'm sure I'm not the first to do this. :D

You're definitely not the first. Lots of posts on different forums of people
doing this. Some not as lucky as you.
Glad your amp is okay!

:lol: Yeah, I feel like an idiot when I do it. It's not very often, but when I have to flip the chassis around or get to the underside of the circuit board or something, sometimes I just forget to plug it back in.
:mrgreen: So far, I've only turned the amp on once like that! I usually catch myself when I double check everything.

Latest posts

Back