Wit's End On Volume Pedals

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dusty Rhodes

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good volume pedal that I can use in my EFX loop (Stiletto Ace) that won't suck tone or diminish the volume output.

I'm kind of at my wit's end here. Seems like all of the usual suspects that I have researched have draw backs in one form or another.

Thanks guys,

well, a volume pedal in the effects loops, is only going to affect the signal to the OUTPUT section of the amp...

seems it'd be more effective in the front of the amp, to diminish the amount of drive to the PREAMP section....

but, if you're wanting full-bore preamp distortion, but are using the volume pedal as a preamp-MASTER, then i suppose you'd want a buffered active volume pedal, that you can set the output level on....

??

gonzo said:
well, a volume pedal in the effects loops, is only going to affect the signal to the OUTPUT section of the amp...

seems it'd be more effective in the front of the amp, to diminish the amount of drive to the PREAMP section....

but, if you're wanting full-bore preamp distortion, but are using the volume pedal as a preamp-MASTER, then i suppose you'd want a buffered active volume pedal, that you can set the output level on....

??

That's exactly what I'm trying to acheive. It's just a matter of which one.

Thanks,

Have you looked at the Visual Volume pedal?

http://www.visualsound.net/Pedal_vv.htm

Not all volume pedals will work in the loop.
I've been using the Morley L'il Alligator as a foot-controllable Master Volume with good results. It has an adjustable minimum volume control.
The Visual Volume looks intriguing, but I haven't tried it yet.
Crap! Another pedal I have to buy!

Okay. I FINALLY found it!!!

It's the Ernie Ball VP Jr. 25K for use with Active Electronics # 6181.
This is designed to be used with active picks up and/or in the effects loop. The 25K OHM indicates that it's low impedance. (see link)

https://www.shopatron.com/product/part_number=P06181/574.0.23625.23625.0.0.0

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Effects/product/Ernie+Ball/VP+Jr+25K/10/1

I just got this last night and it's just what the doctor ordered. The pedal itself is NOT active but passive (no power required) but like I stated is intended to be used with Active Electronics or in the loop. I needed something that I could alter the volume WITHOUT altering the distortion. The way to do that is to place a low impedance VP after the preamp stage which is the EFX loop.

Anyway, this did the trick. GC has them for $84.00 which is a bargin compared to everything else I had been looking at.

I actually called Ernie Ball and spoke with the tech for quite a while about what I was trying to acheive and he indicated that the 25K was the one.

So ther you go. Case closed. If you are lookng to do what I was after this is the pedal you want.

The Boss FV500L will do it. I use one for an expression pedal and it's great. I actually got rid of my EB volume pedal in leu of this one. It's a really solid, nice pedal.

+1 for the Boss FV500L. Its low-impedance & has stereo too if you need it. Built like a tank. I have the high-impedance version & it rocks.

Back