Will Tung Sol 5881s work in my Mark V?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmcfee

Reaction score
Today one of the stock Mesa Boogie 6L6s started glowing and flashing, so I thought that I better get that one out of there. The amp sounded fine, strangely enough.
I found a slightly used set of Tung Sol 5881s and I would love to NOT have buy new tubes. Will these work?
As I recall the 5881 is the same as a 6L6, more or less?
Too bad because the stock tubes were excellent. Thanks.

rmcfee said:
I found a slightly used set of Tung Sol 5881s . Will these work?
As I recall the 5881 is the same as a 6L6, more or less?
are they NOS or recent Tung-Sol reissues, made in Russia?

if they are NOS: no! they will not work. they will burn up.

the original 5881 and the 6L6 are different tubes that have different voltage requirements. NOS 5881s are not safe to use in a 6L6 amp.

the confusion comes because the Russians a while back started making a tube that's in between the two, that can handle 6L6 voltages, and they called it a 5881. but its specs are not the same as a real 5881. so if you want to use 5881s in any 6L6 amp, only use "Russian" 5881s. when i bought them 10 years ago, they were from Sovtek.

but the Tung-Sol name was recently bought by a Russian company. so if these are Tung-Sol reissue 5881s, they might be the ones with the Russian 5881 spec. you'll want to check to make sure.

Thanks for the reply. These are from The Tube Store about 5 years ago so definately not NOS.

for reference, mesa sells the STR425, which is a sovtek 5881, and is interchangeable for anything requiring a 6L6GC. It is by most accounts a darker sounding tube, compressing more quickly under load.
8)

Latest posts

Back