Why I hate Guitar Center (Mesa Related) But really long.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I too am not crazy about Guitar Center. However I did get a deal recently, I bought a new Road King Combo for $2199. I was shocked when I saw the price on it, I asked the sales manager, I thought you couldnt discount. He replied they were closing these out because they were being discontinued. Have no idea if thats true, but one hell of deal.

Will Mesa still be manufacturing the Road King? Or is Guitar Center not going to carry them as a regular item anymore? I've had me eye on the Road King for a while now. It's still a bit pricey on my budget.

Vshine said:
I've never been a fan of corporate giants, so let me explain. I used to work at a local guitar store about 8 years ago, mostly just assistant stuff, but the whole vibe was about music and making people happy. ..................

**** MAN.....that absolutely blows!!! Where in Florida are you? I'm in the West Palm area & actually had a very pleasurable experience FOR THE TIME at the "GuiTarget" (LOVE THAT!) yesterday while checking out the Lonestar.

The assistant manager was the Mesa Guru of the store & one of the older salesmen there didn't know the answer to a question I had so he grabbed this guy.

Super cool pleasant guy that didn't blow me or the other guy there off....answerred all of our questions, said if there was something in particular we were looking for, he'd be glad to hook us up....even mentioned that a lot of times, there are older models that Mesa still has hanging around & if there was an older model we were looking for, he'd look into getting it for us (I told him I'd love to grab a Blue Angel head...his Mesa guy is supposed to be at the store today & he's gonna pass on my name & number!).

Anyway, it really sucks when service corporations disregard service & don't make having a customer continue patronage a priority.

I normally don't buy a thing from GC 'cause in general, they're all a bunch of dicks....but this guy was super cool & I would do business with him & him alone.

I normally just go to GC to try things out & if I find something I like, I look for it online. Aside from that, my local mom & pop shop get my money!!!!!!

Was buying a Mesa 4x12 last week and noticed they had a Trip Rec plugged 8 ohms out into the 4 ohm side of a 4x12.
Who knows how long kids were jamming on it that way!? :roll:

For the record, Mesa is not discontinuing production of the Road King, GC just isn't stocking them anymore. I'm sure they'll still be able to order them, but they won't have them on the floor any more.

The discounts are approved by Mesa in order for GC to clear their remaining stock (or so I was told by the guitar dept. manager when I bought mine).

As far as the 50-30-20-mile bit (or whatever it is), that's got to be a GC policy and not a Mesa one, because here in Indy there are four music stores within three city blocks of each other (GC, Sam Ash, and two independants) and both GC and one of the inependants are authorized Mesa dealers.

adam, you are correct. the road king is now "C" coded, which means "no longer carried as regular stock, still available for orders per manufacturer availability." and yes, we are blowing out current stock at a discounted price.
as far as this whole discussion goes, many people have contributed thoughtful posts. i especially liked the "name calling." right on. thats how things are supposed to be.
ive purposely let the thread go for a while without contributing anything to skew the natural course of things. i respect everything thats been said.

UPDATE : haven't set foot in GC in almost two months. I'm going to see if I can go a year. :twisted:

Latest posts

Back