Which Yellow Jackets for LSC? Also, amp settings for YJs

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh...I almost forgot to mention....

For anyone using Yellow-Jackets in ANY brand of amplifier...and combo-amps in particular...

In the 'tube section' I posted a little tip for cutting down on 'vibration' and the assorted ills that go along with it when using Yellow-Jackets.

Use some sort of 'rubbery' sealant (3M Weatherstrip Adhesive or Silicone Sealer for example)...and apply a VERY fine bead of this all around the base of the tube where it touches the YJ. Be sure you have the tube installed and lined up straight...as you don't want any of this gunk to get UNDER the tube and touch the contact surfaces.

Definitely use something which DOES NOT DRY HARD like glue does! You want the adhesive to remain rubbery and pliable...that way you can easily peel away the adhesive with a fingernail (etc) to try different tubes or to replace worn out tubes.

I have been doing this a while and it really does help a bunch. It doesn't 'cure' hopelessly microphonic tubes but it does cut down somewhat on extraneous noise in all tubes...and is really most helpful with combo amps where the tubes must endure a lot of vibration!

Charles

Charles Reeder said:
Sorry to hear about your problem with the YJs and the short head:
There are a few remedies however: First: Have you tried the TAD EL-84s? They are shorter in overall length than the JJs, EHs and Sovteks. Also...if you don't mind 'defacing' the onderside of your head cabinet slightly? Find and measure the exact centers of where the output tubes sit above the bottom of the head. Transfer those measurements to the bottom of the head cabinet. Use an 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 inch wood boring bit and drill through from the underside.
Now you can use the holes to 'dip' the 'tip' of the EL-84 when installing the YJs...
Charles

I like the way Yellow Jackets make my Mesa amps sound, and had the same space issue on my Roadster combo. I contacted Ed DeGenaro at THD and discovered they make a short version of the Yellow Jacket, the YJShortD Triode that are about 4 3/16 inches tall, which is a little shorter than the standard version, but at $144 a duet, more pricey, too:

http://www.shopatron.com/product/part_number=YJSHORTD/571.0.24362.0.0.0.0

I did buy this shorter version and it allowed me to use this shorter duet of Yellow Jackets in my Roadster combo without the need for case modificaiton. They were still a tight fit but they did fit, and they worked great!

Just a quick update on the short Yellow Jackets with a short Lonestar Classic head...

Ordered the TAD STR EL84's because they were stated to be 1/4' shorter than a "normal" tube and a 1/4" was all I needed to make them fit into the box.

Opps -- they are exactly the same size (in height) as the tubes that come with the short Yellow Jackets.

I don't think I'll modify the head cabinet...guess I'm really outa luck now. Sure does sound good with the two 6V6's and two EL84's though (out of the box, that is).

Jenks

Charles Reeder said:
Yes; either 4-Yellow Jackets... OR 2-Yellow-Jackets with 2-JJ 6V6s (Tubedepot 20-21 hardness) will net you approximately 40-watts at the 100-watt setting...or...20 watts at the 50-watt setting...These ARE ONLY APPROXIMATE WATTAGES...but close enough.

As to the sound of these various combinations: The YJs with the EL-84s will definately give you that 'squishier' tone that those tubes are known for. But, using 4-YJs just might be 'too-much-of-a-good-thing'...if you get my drift. I prefer the sound of 2-YJs mixed with 2-6V6s because the 6V6s have a 'crisper' sound which is a bit 'stiffer' and helps hold 'focus' better and aid in individual note definition when used in tandem with the YJs. It's sort of like the 6V6s are the 'bone' and the YJs are the 'muscle'...you need both bone and muscle to really move!
It 's also a fact that 2-YJs and 2-6V6s are CONSIDERABLY CHEAPER than 4-YJs! I always recommend that someone start with a Pair of YJs and a Pair of 6V6s. If you find you still want another pair of YJs then you're not out too much for the pair of 6V6s...on the other hand; if you order and then don't need that 2nd pair of YJs (with EL-84 tubes) you'll be out a considerably larger expense for nothing.

By the way: The reason I recommend the Tubedepot 20 thru 21 hardness JJ 6V6s...is not because no other tube dealers could give a similar match...it's only because I KNOW from taking measurements that their numbers 20-21 will fall within range on the EL-34 bias setting.

And: don't be misled...20 or 40 watts is still plenty loud...I only 'move-up' to the 6L6s when I'm playing both outdoors and un-miked (pretty rare these days).

As to your question about using the Yellow-Jackets and/or 6V6s in a Stiletto Deuce...well I can't help but chuckle...as I'm awaiting delivery of one in the next week or so...and I intend to try those very tubes substitutions in it. So, I'll let everyone know how it worked out ASAP.

Charles

Could you explain the wattage drop with YJs? I'm just not seeing how using a different tube would change things that radically. Does it have to do with using EL84s?

Hey guys,

I followed this topic and got some yellow jackets and 6v6s with 21 harness. It created a problem in my LSC, it has a loud hum now the one that wasn't there before. I tried swapping back the 6l6s and now they cause hum too. Only way to not have hum is to take out power tubes, every combination i tried failed. Did any of you experience this issue?

Thanks,
Djordje

Back