Where do you guys live?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
New Mexico is far too deep into the poverty belt.

My wife and I have been talking about relocating for a long time.

So far, we have ruled out:
California
Seattle
Texas

We are looking at:
Charlotte
Tennessee

Just wondering where some of you guys live and what the amp tech situation is like in that area. I would have to be an electrician for a while until we got on our feet. So...maybe somewhere that has a semi-decent economy (yeah, I know I'm asking a lot!).

:lol: Forgot to rule out:
Ohio - lived there once, never again - WAY too cold!
Illinois
Pretty much anything too far north! Don't like snow as much as some people do!

Too bad about Miami!

Monsta-Tone said:
:lol: Forgot to rule out:
Ohio - lived there once, never again - WAY too cold!
Illinois
Pretty much anything too far north! Don't like snow as much as some people do!

Too bad about Miami!

Hey...the cold keeps the riff-raff out.

:lol: :lol: :lol: One of my good friends just moved to St. Paul. He loves it.

As for the cold, guess that's why they all come here! :lol: :lol: It's cold here, but not Minnesota cold!

Jacko123 said:
Moncton, New Brunswick (Eastern Canada).

Not much of a guitar scene but lots of perky nipples because of the weather.

:lol: :lol: :lol: That used to be my favorite thing about the super markets on Maui! It was so hot outside that most of the women wore their bikinis in the store. A trip down the frozen food section is mandatory!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Charlotte, NC?

I like my city. It's big, but not "too big" like I feel that Atlanta, Orlando, andother cities are. Also, if you live in the suburb cities outside (Concord, Kannapolis, Matthews, Indian Trail), they are pretty self sustaining as far as having everything close, and yet you can still not feel like you're living just outside a huge city. Traffic kinda sucks, but that's anywhere. Sports teams blow, but if you're into racing (Nascar, Dirt, or Drag) then you will LOVE it here (like i do!). Downtown is called "Uptown" and it's really not that bad down there. I-85 and I-77 connect you to I-40, and other interstate hubs to go any direction. And, you're close enough to go to the mountains and enjoy something like the Blue Ridge Parkway, Boone, or Blowing Rock, or, head the other way for a Beach weekend at the wonderfully unique outer banks. Jobs seem to be doing well here, lots of banking and other opportunistic jobs seem to still be available. Just my opinions on this city. As far as amp techs, I think Sam Ash might have one( I dislike the people that work there, so I'd never take it there), Guitar Center possibly too? I'm not sure. I know Splawn Amplification is right down the road in Dallas, NC, and Scott is a great amp tech, but he's normally busy building his own stuff. We also have Carowinds which is a Cedar Fair theme park with a nice water park, and a few accredited colleges, including my soon to be alma mater, The University of North Carolina at Charlotte.

-AJH

I live in Orlando now but am looking to eventually leave. I grew up in North West Pa, lived in Central Virginia for 4 years and have been here in Florida for 5 years. I can't take the heat! I still have never adjusted to it. I really get tired of sweating all the time! lol

For some reason I feel kind of drawn toward the D.C. area. I've been there plenty of times when I was living in Va and always enjoyed the city but I was just visiting. Things change when you actually live there.

We're still in the 'Talking about it' stage, but the economy here sucks so bad that we've been barely scraping by since we started our contracting business.

I'm thinking of finding a job to get us on our feet while working on amps on the weekends like I do now. If it turns out that there is enough work, then I'll quit the day job in a heartbeat to do what I love doing!

North Carolina, so far, looks like what we want. Close to the mountains, lots of trees, close to the beach, not excruciatingly cold, not overtly humid. I loved living in Kihei, Maui, but my wife hated the humidity.

Keep 'em coming guys! We're basically looking for a sign!

This boutique pickup winder (his side job) used to live in Albuquerque, New Mexico [I think]. His day job at the time made him travel all over the place. He saids a few years he'll quit his high paying job [high security network engineering] and settle somewhere and do restoring and refinishing guitars, and pickup winding full time.

He settled on the East, not sure which Carolina State. But he did consider the Bay Area because of the business / customer opportunities and the diverse location. Drive 20 miles away from the city (San Francisco) and you are away from the hussle and bussle.

Monsta-Tone, I know you ruled out California but its a diverse state. North California is way different than Southern California. Los Angeles traffic is a nightmare. The Bay Area only have traffic during rush hour. Mid day, there's not much traffic unlike LA. Seems like there's traffic all day from what I experience.

The business / customer opportunities here is quite good here. Many of the amp technicians does restoration and repairs that keeps them fairly busy. None really do modifications except for Dan Torres in San Mateo.

If I need work on my amp, I bring it to Scott South Valley Vintage Amps (South Bay). He tells me he goes to guitar shops in the Santa Clara Valley picking up amps that needs repair. So I would think its fairly busy repairing amps here.

I'll admit price of housing and gas is expensive. So much additives are added to the gas in California so it burns cleaner thus higher gas prices. But price of everything else is like everywhere else so can't say the price of living is more expensive here. Grocery is same like everywhere else except Hawaii which you are paying 25% more.

Besides if you need someone to build you speakers or head enclosures I'm the guy. Box joint, half-bind dovetail joints, through dovetail joints, you name it, I have the jigs.

Just some thought. :wink:

I went to SF once on a business trip, but didn't have enough time to look around.

We basically plan on visiting a place and hanging out for a couple of days before deciding whether or not we like it. Northern Cal. might be on the list still, but LA & SD are out.

Monsta-Tone said:
I went to SF once on a business trip, but didn't have enough time to look around.
Well its good to do business in San Francisco but preferably, I would rather live somewhere else like South Bay, San Jose, or East Bay.

Actually I like Sacramento area too.

If you could afford a nice location, Dublin area.

I met some people from Arizona, New Mexico, South West area. They say if you like the slower pace and hot summer, its a nice place but its not a "happening" place like the big cities. They said stores there would close at 5:00 PM. In San Jose area, stores are open at least until 9:00 some until midnight and we're not talking about Chrismas hours, we're talking about regular hours.

If you ever go to Petaluma where the MESA Boogie factory is, you will be shocked a small town with one of the US most successful amp factory is.

:D :D :D One of these days, when the freakin' economy picks up a bit, I plan on a pilgramage to the mothership!
I have a friend that I grew up with who lives in Nor. Cal. and she loves it.

Sherman Oaks, California......just outside of L.A. and tons of amp tech'ng going on! (ooops.....you ruled out L.A........) Can't blame you a bit though....the real estate & school system is rough!

Monsta-Tone said:
New Mexico is far too deep into the poverty belt.

My wife and I have been talking about relocating for a long time.

So far, we have ruled out:
California
Seattle
Texas

We are looking at:
Charlotte
Tennessee

Just wondering where some of you guys live and what the amp tech situation is like in that area. I would have to be an electrician for a while until we got on our feet. So...maybe somewhere that has a semi-decent economy (yeah, I know I'm asking a lot!).

dude you are in silver city!!!! :D i am up from you in the farmington area and my wife works in albq at presbyterian hosp, so 6 on 8 off. you would do much better even up here or in albq. worked in santa fe at stepbridge studios for a couple years but to expensive up there. cant imagine anything going on in silver city area!!

oddly enough i lived in ohio to for a long time...ok i was born and raised there :lol:

we have one amp tech here in the 4 corners area and he is a bit creepy....been expecting to see him on the news at any time!

We used to have a decent music scene here, but the economy has forced most venues and studios to close.

I lived in Farmington when I was a kid. Didn't like it much. We were thinking of checking out Belen or Bernallio though. Close enough to Alb. to get the business, but not close enough to have to deal with it everyday.

Latest posts

Back