When Did They Stop Making Mark III's?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bloodspoint

Reaction score
Hi guys,

New here, 2nd time Boogie owner - last one was an F-50 I just never bonded with. Picked up a green stripe Mk. III Simul-class combo with a Celestion 90 speaker, graphic EQ, fan, reverb, and direct out. Very cool amp.
I was wondering when production stopped on the Mk. III? I've searched around and not found exact dates. Mine has 10/94 in Sharpie on the chassis, which seemed kind of late to me. Serial number is 28xxx.

Also, interested to know what other speaker options there were for this amp, and where they fit in tonally compare to this Celestion? I am primarily a Marshall player, and love Celestions for those, but it seems like something a bit more hi fi would be a good fit for this amp.

Thanks,

Sean

Wow, didn't know it was that late. That's a mighty long run ...perhaps 2nd longest only to the MKIV?? Anyone know ...just curious.

Edward

Wow, I didnt realize they made them that long either, I always thought they stopped making them in the early 90's.

As for the speaker question, the EVM-12L is the way to go. Its very hi-fi sounding with tight bass response and is the perfect match for the Mark III. They're quite pricey speakers, but they are worth it.

edgecrusher said:
Wow, I didnt realize they made them that long either, I always thought they stopped making them in the early 90's.

As for the speaker question, the EVM-12L is the way to go. Its very hi-fi sounding with tight bass response and is the perfect match for the Mark III. They're quite pricey speakers, but they are worth it.

I think I've got a line on an EVM right now. The Celestion's an okay speaker, and I love Celestions with Marshalls, but it seems a little "dull" and mid-rangey for this amp.

MrMarkIII said:
Some like the EV in a Thiele cab mated with the combo with the C90 on top. YUM!

Well, I don't have a Thiele, but when the EV gets here, I'll at least be able to try it both ways.

I never liked the MC90 in a Mark III. Alone, the EV kills it. With an EV loaded thiele, the C90 just sounds blurry and undefined when in the combo.

EVs have spoiled me.

phyrexia said:
I never liked the MC90 in a Mark III. Alone, the EV kills it. With an EV loaded thiele, the C90 just sounds blurry and undefined when in the combo.

EVs have spoiled me.
+1. I always feel more "satisfied" when playing through the EV. I can hear deeper into the sound...kind of like seeing the bottom of a pond.

EV's rule indeed. "Hi-Fi" is a perfect description and you will notice it seems the amp is more responsive dynamically and louder to boot.

I was just paging through a 1996/97 Guitar Buyer's Guide and the MKIII is listed as the "MKIII Reissue" for $1,150.

The copy said:

"The first tri-mode amp ever. Rated 60 watts, reverb, eq, 90 watt Celestion. The 85 watt Simul-Class version is $1,325. Head only 60 watt version is $1,100 and Simul-Class head for $1,275."

I'll bet the EV was available as an additional upcharge option, too. All the way to 1998! That's an impressive run for one of the greatest amps ever made IMHO. MKIII's are the real deal and if you look at the prices new compared to current used prices they hold that $$ value extremely well (as do most handmade, high-quality items I suppose). A green stripe MKIII feeding an EVM is truly a thing of timeless beauty, and I could happily be stranded on a desert island with a Strat to plug into it and a cool, damp towel. Z

Latest posts

Back