Whats your favorite pedal with the Lonestar?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got an LSS head yesterday and I'm playing it through a 1 x 12 Scumback loaded cab. So far both the OCD v2 and my Keeley Rat absolutely love it. It's a good thing because I'm not at all impressed with channel 2. From scanning here looks like a Reeder mod is in my near future. Clean channel is worth the price of admission though. :)

gregrjones said:
Goudix FX 808+ pedal, which is a modified TS808/SD-9 with an expanded bottom end. My Strat sounds like magic thru it.

I started using a Maxon OD-808 through it, and it is a VERY inspiring tone to use on a live gig. I am familiar with a few of the Xotic boosts, and while I like them, I think the tone of the LSC benefits from having a dissimilar/non-transparent distortion sound combined with the gain sound from the LSC. Another wonderful benefit is that I use moderate amounts of gain on the amp and the pedal combined; before I got the pedal, I would peg the gain.

BTW Greg, I've heard some of your music posted at the Petrucci form and your playing probably 'sounds like magic' through whatever gear you're using.

None actually. Although I do have a modified first geneation Visual sound rt. 66 that I use occasionally. I do really, really like that straight honk from the amp though.

Mark

So far the OCD V 4 and the Carbon Copy. They're the only two I got. The OCD adds some dirt and harmonics while the CC adds depth to the sound field. I tried this BB I've heard so much about, but I wasn't really too impressed. Maybe it was the amp I was playing through in the store. But even with all the pedals off this LSS sound sweet. Pretty amazing sound for this amp so far.

I have a new fave for the LSS- the NOC3 Compact Pure drive. This pedal is amazing. I think its secret weapon is a clean blend. I won it in a charity auction, and grabbed it the other night to bring to a jam, instead of bulky Tim. Very clear, nice harmonics, and can also go from a little grind to open right up

I play mostly humbucker guitars so I have found the Tim & Timmy to be great for very low compressed, non-mid-humped OD to give the first channel a little push - for single coils I like the AC Boost or a FD2 in vintage mode.

My fav combined with Channel 2 is a MI Audio Boost n' Buff. When you run it past 12'o clock, it is in serious treble booster territory. Also, the buffer (always on) helps my tone and retains my high end when I am running out to a pedalboard and back. If my B n' B isn't in my chain, I can tell right away as my amp sounds like it's covered with a blanket.

With Channel 1 (or 2), I also like the Analogman Sunface.

On the clean channel of my lonestar classic 50/100 watt, I run a TC Electronics NOVA system.....sounds like they were made to go together. TC Electronics makes studio grade effects for little cash compared to some rack mount gear.

The NOVA system has an all analog distortion....nothing digital, but it also has some very good digital effects as well.

It also has effects taken directly from the TC Electronics G system.

I never really cared for multi effects until I got this unit, but this thing sounds fantastic.

In this bad economy, I sought out a cheap project to do. Monte Allums Mods. First I modded my old Boss DD-3 delay. Wow, It sounds great! Like an analog delay. Then I picked up a used Boss SD-1 cheap, and did Monte's "GT" mod. Whoa! It sounds phenomenal. It's actually pushing some of my expensive pedals off the board. A $50 pedal! So that's my new fav. :)

Bit of a bump here- all of you mentioned your favorite pedals, but what would you recommend to get a high gain, violin-like, sorta more modern Mark I, lead sound?

Update: BB Preamp seems to do it for me.....!

marzzz said:
Bit of a bump here- all of you mentioned your favorite pedals, but what would you recommend to get a high gain, violin-like, sorta more modern Mark I, lead sound?

Ah, the elusive (violin-like) high gain pedal. This type of pedal is rare. I'm holding on to the Barber DD/mod for that. It has a little more gain than a stock DD.

plan-x said:
marzzz said:

Ah, the elusive (violin-like) high gain pedal. This type of pedal is rare. I'm holding on to the Barber DD/mod for that. It has a little more gain than a stock DD.

Well, I think I remember reading somewhere around here you did the JJ/Eurotube High Gain set? How did that work out for you? I am thinking of getting the high gain preamp tubes with a set of 6L6's and EL34's to see if I like any of these combinations. In the meantime, I basically bought the BB from recommendations here, and so far so good....I am still in the early learning stages of both the amp and the pedal, so right now I am tending to overdo things. I would also love to try the Barber LTD and Maxon OD808, but I don't want to end up going crazy (I can see my pedalboard ending up with a tuner, and OD, and a delay only).

I did have use of someone's TriAxis/2:90 system for a few months about a year ago, and my two favorite modes were Rhythm Green and Lead 1 Green, which I assume is "Blackface Clean" and "Mark I Overdrive," if I remember correctly- now THAT was a complicated amp! I am also looking forward to checking out the Mark V, but I was never a huge fan of the super high gain modes (is that violin-like also?????).

The JJ's I got were "high headroom" for maximum vol. clean. As if a pig needs that. But, high gain will do the opposite, reaching saturation sooner, thus higher gain.

Xotic BB and Xotic RC. The RC with the volume up all the way and gain at zero does wonders to push both channel 1 and channel 2. Plus the BB turns channel 2 into an awesome grind machine.

webe123 said:
On the clean channel of my lonestar classic 50/100 watt, I run a TC Electronics NOVA system.....sounds like they were made to go together. TC Electronics makes studio grade effects for little cash compared to some rack mount gear.

The NOVA system has an all analog distortion....nothing digital, but it also has some very good digital effects as well.

It also has effects taken directly from the TC Electronics G system.

I never really cared for multi effects until I got this unit, but this thing sounds fantastic.

I have a TC Nova System also but I've been using it in the effects loop of my LSC. Are you running the LSC clean (presumably thru the clean channel) when combining it with the Nova System?

axman53 said:
Xotic BB and Xotic RC. The RC with the volume up all the way and gain at zero does wonders to push both channel 1 and channel 2. Plus the BB turns channel 2 into an awesome grind machine.

Agreed, BB+channel 2 is awesome, that's my main sound. I'll have to try the RC cranked all the way, haven't had as much time to play with as I'd like to.

Back