What's the Best Mic's for recording Guitar Amps?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never could get a great sound out of my e609, although I've heard great things about them. I eventually let it go. The SM57 is pretty quick and easy and definitely affordable. I'd keep it in any mic stable. But after trying lots of different mics, the best one for the money has been an sE z5600-II. Awesome mic. And with variable polar patterns, the options are limitless. You are gauranteed a great sound with any application. They have some good artist endorsements already, but are new enough that you don't pay an arm and a leg just for the name.

I would have to say that my desert island microphone for recording guitar would have to be the Electro-Voice RE-38. That microphone is AMAZING and most people have never even heard of it. However, I will say that anyone that I have ever come across that has one says the same thing. Another microphone that works well is the Audio Technica ATM25, which they no longer make.

I prefer RE20, 421 and SM57s for guitars. I've been playing around with my SM7 lately and it's far more versatile than I expected. I bought it for doing voice work but it is great for just about everything I've tried so far.

BobL said:
There are plenty of mics much better than the venerable 57, and a few have been mentioned above, but more than anything placement will be the deciding factor in the sound you hear.

I underestimated mic placement for a long time. A guy can make the most expensive condensors sound like Radio Shack mics by placing them in a bad spot and turning them the wrong way. I've heard radio shack guitar tracks that people hearing clips swore were done with 57's and 421's.

And it is as he says........ dont underestimate the power of the Heil side of the force! They are remarkable mics, especially for the money. The most condensor-like dynamic mics I've ever used. :shock:

My favorite setup these days is a Cascade Fat Head ribbon mic combined with a Blue "Ball" dynamic mic:

newcabnov2008.jpg

Typically I put the Fat Head off-center on the speaker... this picks up "meat" in the amp's tone... then I pan it towards the center during mixdown.

I center the "Ball" on the speaker cone... this provides a bit more "cut" and "sparkle"... then I pan it towards the left or right during mixdown.

The combination of the two mics allows me to create a lot of different tones during mixdown without having to use any EQ. The challenge is getting them aligned properly so as to prevent phase-related issues.

--B

I've found the e602 - one of Sennheiser's bass drum mics - to sound FUCKING AMAZING. I've used the SM57 for a while, and compared with the e602, it sounds terrible.

I think the reason the bass drum mic sounds so good is because it's built to handle the high pressure bass and will stay tight under these settings, where the SM57 seems to become muddy and dull. Just put a high pass on the e602 and you're set! Here's a sound clip -

http://www.netmusicians.org/files/64-07-31-09%20Metal%20Mix%203.mp3

bsd56 said:
If you dont like the 57 you should try the Audix i5, its quite a bit fatter but still kinda has the same vibe
I have to agree. After switching between the sm57 and an Audix i5, im convinced that the i5 is clearer and fatter. And its the same price as a Shure sm57

MD 421
EV 257
SM 57
SM 58
KSM 44 my go-to room mic
Cad 22

I've used all of these mics for recording i like them all but my favorite if i'm using just one is the EV and my least fav is the 58.....

Jhon said:
I've got a Neumann U87 and I've always hesitated to utilize it for recording some loud amp cabinets for fear that the sheer volume of it will cause the microphone to be less sensitive or damaged in some way . . . I use that microphone for MOST of the vocals that come into my studio and it would break my heart to be without it for a period of time while it was being repaired.

Do you know if I can damage the U87 with a loud amp cabinet? Honestly, we use lots of amps and I never turn the things up TOO much anyway . . . but what if we do? Will it ruin the mic???

ALSO, we've got an Avalon 737 and a Universal Audio 6176 to plug it into . . . any opinions on which one would be better? I'm just trying to get some opinions from the experienced souls out there.

-J

I have'nt tried it, but you can't go messing around with that mics that are not cheap. In my knowledge and career as Studio Engineer, you can deffinetely break the little diaphragm inside the mic. That's why we don't use condensers with snares, or toms, there are so much sound preassure that can break the mic. Be careful and only use it to capture room.

VijfZiel said:
Jhon said:
I've got a Neumann U87 and I've always hesitated to utilize it for recording some loud amp cabinets for fear that the sheer volume of it will cause the microphone to be less sensitive or damaged in some way . . . I use that microphone for MOST of the vocals that come into my studio and it would break my heart to be without it for a period of time while it was being repaired.

Do you know if I can damage the U87 with a loud amp cabinet? Honestly, we use lots of amps and I never turn the things up TOO much anyway . . . but what if we do? Will it ruin the mic???

ALSO, we've got an Avalon 737 and a Universal Audio 6176 to plug it into . . . any opinions on which one would be better? I'm just trying to get some opinions from the experienced souls out there.

-J

I have'nt tried it, but you can't go messing around with that mics that are not cheap. In my knowledge and career as Studio Engineer, you can deffinetely break the little diaphragm inside the mic. That's why we don't use condensers with snares, or toms, there are so much sound preassure that can break the mic. Be careful and only use it to capture room.
I agree when i mic my amp with my Shure KSM 44 i never place it closer than 2ft from the cab.....and as sensitive as these mics are there really isn't any need in putting them closer than that IMHO.

I like using an SM57 and a large diaphram condenser together.Then I can mix the 2 and make it sound darker or brighter.It gives you a nice tonal pallette to work with.And you may want to put one out of phase with the other,I've gone both ways depending on what I was looking for.

I DON'T USE MICS ANYMORE.

i use a Palmer PDI-09.

well, that said, actually i most often blend a room mic (some large condenser mic, sometimes a AT4033 or ADK Hamburg) with the palmer.

if i want to close mic, i use a shure sm57.

when comparing the palmer against close micing in the center of a speaker, the sm57, sometimes i cannot tell them apart.

the palmer is just WAY easier to work with, and more responsive to mix eq after the fact.

Sm57 into ua610 pre... A decent pre makes a huge difference.

DudewithFr0 said:
bsd56 said:
If you dont like the 57 you should try the Audix i5, its quite a bit fatter but still kinda has the same vibe
I have to agree. After switching between the sm57 and an Audix i5, im convinced that the i5 is clearer and fatter. And its the same price as a Shure sm57

I don't know about fatter, but the I5 has miles more clarity than the SM57. Used together they sound amazing.

Back