whats the best instrument cable

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boogieslayer

Reaction score
im in the market for new instrument cables..nothing 500 miles long...25 ft and under would do just fine
in your opinion whats the best instrument cable out there?
ive always heard good things about monster cables...
im looking for something thats going to last me a good long time
im willing to put out the money now instead of investing and re-investing in junk 2 months or whatever at a time
any other ideas?

After reading all the hype and reviews surrounding the Evidence Audio Lyric HG cable I thought I'd try one out so went and bought one today. Came home and tried my rig as was and then plugged in the new cable. The difference was nothing short of amazing. There was a lot more volume. On top of that, the clarity and balanced tonal spectrum was also extremely impressive. My wife was standing next to me when I swapped the cables over and, bearing in mind that she's tone deaf and usually doesn't notice when I've changed something, she commented on how much clearer it was.

I've got all sorts of leads from cheapos, through Planet Waves and custom Proel cables. Now that I've tried the Evidence Audio, I think I'll be sticking with it.

I will point out that the changes were extremely noticeable on my rig with my guitars. With other gear, it may not be so noticeable - YMMV, etc.....

Hope this helps.

Simon

boogieslayer said:
yes it does help every reply helps...

thanks and thanks in advance

For mid-range cable, I've always found Planet Waves are good value-for-money as a step up from a cheapo lead. However, I've found that over 3 meters, they start to noticeably lose top end. I've recently got hold of a couple of Van Damme cables and for not much more money than the PW ones, they preserve the decent quality that you get from a PW 3m cable at any length. For that reason I'd say they're more practical. Evidence are very highly regarded, and I've heard very good things about Elixir cables. But for a mid-range cable, Van Damme are the best I've come across.

Oh and PW patch cables are very good, but for a pedal board get one of those George L (or similar) pedalboard kits and do-it-yourself!

yeah ive looked at several sites for diy pedalboards..

i was lookin at my setup last nite and have come to the conclusioni really dont need any cables over 15 ft....20 f would be more than enough..

ive heard about planet wave....what i may do is just go ahead and save up and get some evidence audio or another top line cable and be done with it :)

+1 on Evidence Audio cables..
Awesome cables.. I've got both the instrument (lyric HG) and the speaker cables (siren II)..

boogieslayer said:
im in the market for new instrument cables..nothing 500 miles long...25 ft and under would do just fine
in your opinion whats the best instrument cable out there?
ive always heard good things about monster cables...
im looking for something thats going to last me a good long time
im willing to put out the money now instead of investing and re-investing in junk 2 months or whatever at a time
any other ideas?

Hello ,
You can check some reviews that may or may not be advertisment "weighted" , I can speak for myself ,
I have a top of the line 20 ft monster I used for years , when I tried a George Lynch the Monster cable is
now in the gig back for back up.
I know alot of people do not like the stiffness of the GL cables but I put that aside as they are the best
sounding for the price and time is on their side, they get better every day, Other than Klotz cables , that are expensive and sold by Gerald Weber at kendrick amps they are supple but 90 bucks for a 20ft er.
Post what you get and let us know :).

Quantity in Basket: none
Code: KEN03-KLOTZLG20FT
Price: $88.99

Shipping Weight: 21.00 units

Select Connector Type: Straight to Straight
Straight to Right-Angle

Klotz LaGrange Guitar Cable 20ft.
Available in straight to straight end connectors and for a $6 upcharge, straight to right-angle end connectors.

(published in "Just Jazz Guitar", Magazine, USA, August 2002):

[...] The top ranked Klotz guitar cable rates a 10 out 10 in this comparison. Its lack of coloration and almost complete neutrality set it apart in the test. The Klotz also behaves well physically by coiling easily and connecting solidly to the guitar and amp. Those of you accustomed to using free guitar cables or those under $10 will think that I'm crazy to think of a $69.95, twenty-foot Klotz as a best buy, but I'll be ordering one as soon as I finish writing this comparison. It will now become my reference of how a guitar cable should sound and perform. [...]

http://kendrick-amplifiers.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=KOS&Product_Code=KEN03-KLOTZTMS20&Category_Code=03

http://kendrick-amplifiers.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=KOS&Product_Code=KEN03-KLOTZLGCUST&Category_Code=03

http://kendrick-amplifiers.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=KOS&Product_Code=KEN03-KLOTZMATJAB&Category_Code=03

boogieslayer said:
whats the difference between the lyric cables and the melody cables ?

anyone used Mogami cables before?

I can't comment on Evidence, but I own a 20ft Mogami cable that I bought on a recommendation from a buddy and it's great. I was using a cheap Peavey cable from my guitar to pedalboard and as soon as I plugged in the Mogami my entire rig sounded a bit brighter, clearer... just better. They can be had for a good price ($25) where I am too, so it may be worth a shot. Not sure how they compare to a really high-end $100 cable though.

Go to Lava Cable's site and look around....most of the mid to premium brands available and made to order. Probably less expensive than most places as well. Also, email Mark to get his recommendations for your specific applications and he will provide solid, experienced advice. For my money, the Lava ELC is a clear winner when considering value for the dollar spent...I have several.

http://www.lavacable.com/

Snottyboy said:
Go to Lava Cable's site and look around....most of the mid to premium brands available and made to order. Probably less expensive than most places as well. Also, email Mark to get his recommendations for your specific applications and he will provide solid, experienced advice. For my money, the Lava ELC is a clear winner when considering value for the dollar spent...I have several.

http://www.lavacable.com/

If you want to cable up your pedalboard as well, check out Mark's Lava Mini ELC Solderless kit. Really easy to make up and sounds terrific.

ok...thanks for all the input so far y'all (im not from the south but thats a great word lol )
ill post what i end up getting...
im not really concerned about theh stiffness.
the one thing i absolutely HATE is the cable twisting up and having to stop and pull it out.grrr talk about irritating! :twisted:
my line of thinking at the moment is still to save up and buy a $100 or there abouts cable(s) and be done with it.
i dont want to have to buy another cable in 6 months or a year or whatever...

8)

boogieslayer said:
ok...thanks for all the input so far y'all (im not from the south but thats a great word lol )
ill post what i end up getting...
im not really concerned about theh stiffness.
the one thing i absolutely HATE is the cable twisting up and having to stop and pull it out.grrr talk about irritating! :twisted:
my line of thinking at the moment is still to save up and buy a $100 or there abouts cable(s) and be done with it.
i dont want to have to buy another cable in 6 months or a year or whatever...

8)

Unfortunately the problem with wire, added to a connector , with solder or a solderless connection, In theory
it must fail at some point. Like I say what good is a lifetime warranty/guarantee when you get a short. Send it
back and have them fix it. Or use your back up cable until break and fix it there an then.
Try a Klotz, You have my word if you do not like it I will buy it from you.
How is that. I hope you buy this one, I was going to get one anyway at some point,

http://kendrick-amplifiers.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=KOS&Product_Code=KEN03-KLOTZMATJAB&Category_Code=03
or this one

http://kendrick-amplifiers.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=KOS&Product_Code=KEN03-KLOTZLG20FT&Category_Code=03

How is that for a deal ? I always make good on my word.

I like the Mogamis for a "reasonably" priced cable that is quiet and clear. I was shocked how big a difference it made in the noise that no longer gets to the amp.

well its taken me a while since i posted this topic but ive went with the 18 foot 1/4 inc / angle Mogami...

wow what a difference ...

the upgrade from monster to mogami is great ! worth every penny

no static no interference at all...

my next buy is going to be the Mogami Platinum Guitar Cable

Mogami all the way. I have a gold it was like 60 bucks but i noticed a cleaner and clearer sound opposed to my old cables.
It also let the guitars tone shine through. Its well worth it to me

Latest posts

Back