What will El34s do for my Tremoverb?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
blackmonday said:
Just curious. It's my first Mesa.

It will sound horrible. You will want to dump it as soon as possible which is why I am offering to buy it from you to ease your hassle.

It is the least I can do. PM me if you want to sell it and it is a head.

It will tighten up the bottom end a little and add a little more mids. I put a quad in my DR when I owned one and never went back. Even with EL34's are in there, it's still a Recto. It will not be Marshall or Mark IV tight. It does add a nice flavor to the tone pallette and make for interesting tweaking.

jman7272 said:
blackmonday said:
Just curious. It's my first Mesa.

It will sound horrible. You will want to dump it as soon as possible which is why I am offering to buy it from you to ease your hassle.

It is the least I can do. PM me if you want to sell it and it is a head.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm keeping it!

I'm interested in EL34s because of my love for the DSL 100. I'm wondering if I will get closer to a blend of the 2 by changing the power tubes in the tremoverb.

If I switch to EL34's do I have to have 2 matched pairs in there or can I have 4 EL34. Reason being I have 2 EL34's that are recent and in my marshall head. I'd like to just buy a 2nd pair of EL34's.

What's it gonna do? Make it sound better :shock: :wink:

I liked EL34's better in my Recto's...... The tone difference in 6L6's vs EL34's is:

6L6 - More lows, but not as tight....less mids.

EL34 - less, but tighter lows.......a stonger mid range and the highs are shifted down a little lower.

Think Fender Twin for 6L6's and how "round" and full they are.

Think Marshall for EL34's and how punchy and agressive they are.

In the big picture..... at the end of the day...... when it's all said and done..... it's still gonna sound like a Tremoverb ....... but with a slightly different color.

This is an excellent thread. I want to try the Eurotubes recomended EL34L I think.

Latest posts

Back