What to check for when buying Mark IV?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deftone82

Reaction score
So, I finaly got my money, I found a seller, so soon I will be checking out a secondhand Mesa Boogie Mark IV.

He's accepting € 1.500 (2200 dollar) for it. I think in europe, that's a nice price for this one...most of the times people ask 1700-2000 euro's.
It's got 4 x new 6L6 endtubes (5881 Sovtek tubes). Other tubes are 2 years old, it's got a black shadow speaker (didn't ask model yet).

So some questions: What you think about the price? Is there money-wise a big difference between EVM or C90 speaker?

And I have never seen a Mark IV up-close and personal, so what do I (next to the fact if I like the sound) check for when buying this baby second hand?

Please advice!

Hey Deftone82,

A few things I've learned this year while shopping for a Mark IV.

- Mark IV heads generally sell for more than combos. I have no idea why.

- There seems to be little or no price difference between the A and B models.

- EVM combos seem to be a little more valuable but not much (however old Mesa EVM speakers are fetching $200 US on ebay vs. $75-90 for a used C-90 so getting one with a EVM is a good idea because you can easily sell it and pick up a different speaker)

According to my local M/B tech the most expensive repairs he sees in Mark IVs are problems with the switching system. So make sure the switching system works. One sign of a switching system going bad is a Footswitch LED that glows faintly when it should be off.

Other issues to watch out for are strange noises, excessive hum, popping. These are usually indicators of minor problems so if something like this shows up you might want to get the amp looked over before you make a offer.

I can't help with the price. That sounds high for the US but I understand Boogies are far more expensive in Europe.

GD_NC said:
- EVM combos seem to be a little more valuable but not much (however old Mesa EVM speakers are fetching $200 US on ebay vs. $75-90 for a used C-90 so getting one with a EVM is a good idea because you can easily sell it and pick up a different speaker)
I think EVM-loaded combos do command a small premium. Not to be picky, but I think $200 is a bit high. Recent eBay sales were in the $75 to $100 range, with the $100 price including shipping. I think the recent price range is on the low side, and prices for used EVMs do fluctuate, but I still think $200 is high. Brand new ones go for $229.

By the way, I think the C-90 is a great speaker for a Mark IV combo. I often A/B my C-90 and my EVM, and it's hard to say which sounds better.

I recently bought a '93 MK IVa from ebay through an international transaction from a fantastic seller for 1100 bucks. The amp arrived from across the ocean in great shape and well packed. He is selling another on ebay right now if you are interested.

2200 dollars is a bit high but then they are not easy to find in the UK.

I would highly recommend keeping an eye on this : http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140351515046&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching

I had a faultless international transaction with my MK IV combo from them.

Good luck!

I've seen Mark IV's with the control knobs damaged (or even broken off) from carelessly carrying thru doors and so forth. Especially the lead channel pots along the bottom row. Rotate all of them while playing to make sure they don't have dead spots or loud crackles which means they need replaced. Make sure the channel selector knob on the back is working well and doesn't cut out if you jiggle it.

dodger916 said:
GD_NC said:
I think EVM-loaded combos do command a small premium. Not to be picky, but I think $200 is a bit high. Recent eBay sales were in the $75 to $100 range, with the $100 price including shipping. I think the recent price range is on the low side, and prices for used EVMs do fluctuate, but I still think $200 is high. Brand new ones go for $229.

By the way, I think the C-90 is a great speaker for a Mark IV combo. I often A/B my C-90 and my EVM, and it's hard to say which sounds better.

Not to nit pick, but search on "MESA EVM" (not the generic ones) the last two Mesa Black Shadow EVMs sold for $175 and $200 + shipping. One did go for $100 as a BIN but it sold as soon as it appeared on Ebay. Old Boogie 1x12 compact cabs & thieles with original Mesa EVMs are getting $300+

GD_NC said:
Not to nit pick, but search on "MESA EVM" (not the generic ones) the last two Mesa Black Shadow EVMs sold for $175 and $200 + shipping. One did go for $100 as a BIN but it sold as soon as it appeared on Ebay. Old Boogie 1x12 compact cabs & thieles with original Mesa EVMs are getting $300+
To nit-pick, I searched "ev 12L" and evm 12L". The delivered prices of the last 9 completed auctions were:
$197 (Mesa label)
$118
$101 (free shipping)
$122 (Mesa label)
$153
$150 (price per speaker for 2 reconed)
$142 (price per speaker for 2)
$95
$95

There's quite a range of prices, so a patient buyer can do well. The average price is around $130 delivered, and only one approached the $200 mark. I paid about $100 when I bought mine. There's no difference between the Mesa labelled speakers and the unlabelled OEMs

sparklesmcgraw said:
I recently bought a '93 MK IVa from ebay through an international transaction from a fantastic seller for 1100 bucks. The amp arrived from across the ocean in great shape and well packed. He is selling another on ebay right now if you are interested.

2200 dollars is a bit high but then they are not easy to find in the UK.
Good luck!

Firstly, I'm from Belgium. At this time I can find 3 people who are willing to sell, my latest offer for 1500 euro's, two others for 1700 and 2000 euro's.

Next to that, what do you do with the power? That's not the same for USA and Belgium, so I would have to change that...?

With those speakers, that's the least of my worries...150 dollars is a ok price for me to pay when I want to change it aftersome years (unless it's just broke). I want to avoid buying this amp and having to return to a repairshop every month because something fails...

Next to that, what do you do with the power? That's not the same for USA and Belgium, so I would have to change that...?

Simply buy a step down transformer. They can be bought at a range of wattages. Mine is rated to 500 Watts just to be sure. Simply plug in the transformer to the mains and plug the amp into the transformer. Easy.

They are quite small aswell, mine is about the size of.......errrmmm....I dunno......a Guinea Pig.

This is the one I bought and it works great : http://www.netpcdirect.co.uk/step-down-transformers/stepdown_500_watt.html

sparklesmcgraw said:
Simply buy a step down transformer. They can be bought at a range of wattages. Mine is rated to 500 Watts just to be sure. Simply plug in the transformer to the mains and plug the amp into the transformer. Easy.
They are quite small aswell, mine is about the size of.......errrmmm....I dunno......a Guinea Pig.

Ok, If I have to start looking for stuff like that (which, by the way, also does not fit in Belgian/european sockets!) It's not worth my trouble.

I think that price is a bit high to be honest.
This is a good price in Belgium...If you can find me one on the mainland which is in that sort of a condition, and costs less...let me know! I will be glad to buy it.
Like I said before, most Mark IV's get sold around 1700 EURO's around here...(near mint contdition)

Latest posts

Back