What modes do you use on your Roadster/Road King?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crockett

Reaction score
I picked up my first Mesa, a Roadster 212 combo, a few months ago. I really like the thing, it's performed as expected and then some. However, I've been tweaking and tweaking, trying new settings out to find different sounds. I always seem to come back to something near the manual suggestions, usually with less gain, more mids, less presence. I think I've finally settled on Tweed, Fat, Vintage, Modern for channels 1-4. I just haven't been able to bond with Brit or Raw, though my experimental time with the amp loud is limited to rehearsals, and that may be a good part of it. Brit I find too bright and thin; Raw just isn't as appealing as Vintage or Modern for what I play, i.e. modern metal, because the tube/vintage and diode/modern tandem make such a nice heavy lead/rhythm combination.

I'm curious what modes people are using on their Roadster/RK channels? Anyone care to share any settings for Brit/Raw?

I just got my Roadster this month and I've been using Fat, Brit, Vintage and Modern. I use an OD for channel two for a bit more gain, but I haven't found the exact sound I want yet. I'm looking for a kind of Porcupine Tree rythm sound or Opeth low-gain sound. I have channel 3 set up for leads on my neck pickup, and if I switch to bridge, it has a really tight rythm sound. Channel four is pretty much channel 3 but with lots more low-end and presence.

XnaySaturo said:
I just got my Roadster this month and I've been using Fat, Brit, Vintage and Modern. I use an OD for channel two for a bit more gain, but I haven't found the exact sound I want yet. I'm looking for a kind of Porcupine Tree rythm sound or Opeth low-gain sound. I have channel 3 set up for leads on my neck pickup, and if I switch to bridge, it has a really tight rythm sound. Channel four is pretty much channel 3 but with lots more low-end and presence.

if you find that opeth tone let me know

Right now I am using fat/brit/vintage/modern. but I am thinking about changing it up a bit... there are ALOT of great tones in there with just the flip of a switch.

Right now I'm using Tweed/Fat/Vintage/Modern. I never really liked the Brit mode but I don't really need it since I also have a Stiletto Duece...

Im using Tweed / Brit / Vintage/ Modern. I set it up with a progressive gain jump up with each channel. I have no need for crystal clear cleans in my gig. I know what everyone says about the Brit mode being thin and all....but in a band context it does cut through quite well.

If I dont balance my volumes well when I switch to channel 3 ( where I live 90% of the time using volume knob to give different shades of crunch) it can seem like a big drop in volume.

I have a JSX combo too and find the crunch channel on that can also get lost if you dont EQ it right , back off on gain a touch and get the cabinet off the floor...but thats how it goes with when you use a saturated compressed sound.

I have a live recording on myspace (What Is and What Shall Never Be)
http://www.myspace.com/sixgunfive

..where I used my Roadster head with a Ibanez JS straight into a Avatar cab with a G12/ V30..just a lil delay in the loop. There is another guitarist playing a Marshall DSL 100 who does the main solo ...I do the outro improv soloing. My guitar is the louder one dominating the mix (hes a lil shy...lol) You can hear how different we sound during the guitar break before the outro ( Im the LOUDER one..lol) I only had the amp 2 days and was still figuring it out on the fly. The other songs on there were done with a EJ strat straight into a JSX (but they are studio cuts)

HEY HEY HEY THIS IS HOW I SET UP MY ROADSTER TODAY.....

TWEED/BRIT/MODERN/MODERN

I CAN NOT BELIEVE SOME PEOPLE THINK THE BRIT CHANNEL IS THIN. MY BRIT CHANNEL IS SO FAT WHEN I PLAY IT AROUND THE HOUSE..I PLAY IT .....ARROOUND THE HOUSE HA!!!

SCOTTY

I use Clean/Brit/Raw/Modern, with KT77 power tubes set to EL 34 bias. I have been able to get close or exact to having the sound from 4 different amps, Lonestar, Stiletto, Mark IV (ish) and Dual Rec, respectively. Try this mod I came up with on your Brit mode to get it sounding similar to a Stiletto (more oomph and lots lots lots more gain, definitely not thin)

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=28216

I'll try to post settings later which you could experiment with depending on your guitar and pickups. The one I'm still not satisfied with is Channel 3 (Mark IV-ish). But I've gotten pretty dang close!

Latest posts

Back