What is the difference between "PRESET" to "PROGRAM/CHANNEL"

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trippy

Reaction score
Hi guys
I'm trying to understand the difference between "PRESET" to "PROGRAM/CHANNEL"
Reading in the manual it says: "First understand that PRESETS are SOUNDS and that PROGRAMS are MIDI PROGRAM LOCATIONS"
The TA is not my first rack unit I have, I used many multi FX (pods, T.C. Alesis) and preamps (ADA all the 3 MP's) and as I see it, if you are dialing a sound which is build from some amount of gain, bass, mids, treble etc. and you save is in location X out of the 128 locations you have, that's it!
So why do we have it twice, we have an option of 01 to 99 for PRESET and then again 01 to 128 for PROGRAM/CHANNEL ?

Looking @ James Hetfield TA's for example, numbers are the same for both:

JH.jpg

Looking @ Mesa/Boogie TA page, numbers are same as well:

MB.jpg

And for another one found on the net, numbers are not the same so….

web_rack.jpg

Please clear the fog
Thanks.

You can assign any of the presets to any of the program channels. This would be helpful if you wanted to use the same preset more than once. For instance, one that is just the dry sound of the TriAxis and one that is set up to run through delay in your rack effects unit. It's just a way of running the same core sound in several different instances.

I don't know if I cleared that up at all... :?

Yea, I thought that is the reason, but I don’t find it so usable though….
Let's say we are running the TA with a g-major and the controller is a GCP (most of the common setups BTW)….
If I would like to call preset #27 in the TA together with #27 in the t.c and then call #27 from the TA again but this time with #28 in the t.c., I could just save the same preset (#27) in the TA twice, first time in location #27 and then again in #28 and there you go….
It just looks to me a little weird this thing of "preset" and "program"…
BTW with the GCP and other "todays" MIDI board I can program the board that if I call preset #A for example it will trigger preset B in the TA + preset C in the t.c, I used it this way with my former setup which was a Carvin Quad-X amp 4 channel MIDI controlled PREAMP + t.c.electronic G-Major, whenever I hit any of the 4 channel buttons on the board it always called either of the 4 channels in the preamp together with the next coming preset in the t.c. for example: channel 1 to 4 is with preset 1 to 4 in the t.c. and then again channel 1 to 4 in the preamp is with presets 5 to 8 in the t.c. and so on…..

Presets are sounds you create.

Program numbers are locations for those sounds.

For example, I have preset #21, a clean tone, assigned to programs 1 and 4. Program 1 is assigned to the first button of my GT-6 which also has a Chorus effect engaged. The same preset is also assigned to the 4th button on my GT, but this time, there are no effects, just the patch level turned to 0 for a "mute" preset.

Latest posts

Back