what do you people think?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

therocker

Reaction score
I'm looking into a few pedals to enhance what I have..

Playing through a MESA Roadster with a 4*12 Hughes and Kettner Cab
PRS with Seymour Duncan hot rail in bridge and cool rail in neck and a Washburn Nuno N4.

Board:
BOSS compression/sust
BOSS tuner ts-2
MXR phaser EVH
Zakk wylde wah
Ibanez Tube Screamer ts-808 re-issue
BOSS ns-2 Noise Suppressor

Spare pedals

BOSS octave
Dan ECHO
IBANEZ FUZZ

I need some suggestions and opinions::

- Looking into an MXR 10 BAND EQ. enhance some tone and give it some fine tuning?
thoughts?

- Also looking into a good delay.. i know boss has the dd-3 and dd-7.. boss makes great stuff so im thinking they're good.
thoughts?

-anyone try or have a TC polytuner? wanted to maybe pick one up for giggin but wanted to see what you think.

- also looking into a flanger.. looked into EVH MXR .. its great but pricy.. checked out the boss but haven't played it yet..
thoughts?

Let me know any ideas or thoughts on those.

Thanks!

For Delays I like the Boss DD6 but I love the TC Nova Delay. For a Flanger I like the old Japan Boss flangers, but the new ones are cool.

delay is probably #1 on my board, I use it for solos and another delay as an 'always on' deal with just a hair of delay to give my sound a little width. The Boss ones are pretty full-proof and small. If you want to go high end, I like my Eventide Timefactor but it does 10x more than I'll ever need it to do.

I've always liked Boss DD-3's. Even more I like the Keeley Boss DD-3. It has stock and analog sounding modes, plus the direct out is changed to a TRS effects loop so you can put effects that just get added onto the delay. Very very cool!

i don't really want to spend over 400 for a delay.. i know boss builds great stuff that lasts.. but i don't know if it'll be enough of what i want..but i'll try it out and see.. also the nova delay i'll try too... is that mxr really good? i can't see it being more effective than the boss pedals only because i don't think it has many options..

I really personally think the MXR is a good pedal for the money. It has a really nice delay and is analog AFAIK.
Also, I used to just use delays for lead playing. My amps don't have assignable loops and I hate tap dancing
so I just leave it on all the time. On the clean channel (and I've read that other people have noticed this) it
almost adds a very subtle chorus effect that sounds awesome. Anyways, I've owned Rockman Stereo Echo's,
Line6 echos, had a Timefactor at one point and a bunch of others and I like the CC better. It may not sound
quite as good as the Timefactor but cost and ease of use make the MXR a winner for me.
Good luck with your search!

well i appreciate the input and will definately be throwing the MXR into the mix to try out! thanks!

I have some pedals I can sell for a great price.

All of them are kinda old, analog, work 100% and sound just as good as boutique pedals made today!

IMG_5716.jpg

The Korg is more like the famous A/DA flanger. Personally I like the yamaha better. The Stereo Chorus works great, ESPECIALLY with 2 amps.

I can do $60 shipped for the Korg Flanger, $40 shipped for the yamaha Chorus and $45 shipped for the Flanger.
Cant beat that.
Google reviews for them. They got some excellent reviews. I cant find demos of the chorus, but youtube has a nice video of the yamaha flanger!

therocker said:
i don't really want to spend over 400 for a delay.. i know boss builds great stuff that lasts.. but i don't know if it'll be enough of what i want..but i'll try it out and see.. also the nova delay i'll try too... is that mxr really good? i can't see it being more effective than the boss pedals only because i don't think it has many options..

If you can, just cough up the extra dough and buy yourself an Eventide Timefactor. Love mine... :mrgreen:

Make sure you really like analog delay.... and make sure you will like it all the time if you pick up a Carbon Copy. I had to sell mine as I realized I prefer crisp repeating notes than a mush of analog repeats. I have a Boss Gigadelay that can fake analog well enough for my ears.

TimeSignature said:
Make sure you really like analog delay.... and make sure you will like it all the time if you pick up a Carbon Copy. I had to sell mine as I realized I prefer crisp repeating notes than a mush of analog repeats. I have a Boss Gigadelay that can fake analog well enough for my ears.

+1 on the analog vs. digital delay.

I used to like the color of an analog delay on cleans, when I had 'lesser quality' amps, but having a Boogie and some other good amps, I am noticing that I like the clean nature of the digital delay. Some call it sterile. Well I want the tone of my MKV or SLO left alone!

I have a Carbon Copy and the Eventide. The Eventide is king of the hill on functionality and not coloring the tone. I was running the CC in my MKV loop for leads. It did a good job. But now having the TF, I can tell the difference ever so slightly. Maybe I am just 'hearing' the advertising hype? The Time Factor gives a more accurate repetition of the note without the analog slight distortion, IMO. Done a little research on this and it seems there is some science to back up this opinion. I don't think it is all in my head.

Bottom line is you need to get what you like, regardless of what anybody thinks... except maybe the people listening to you.....

The Timefactor is the KING of all delays, and, can very accurately do a chous, flange, rotary, as well as any delay you can dream.... Its $400- but IMHO, it is the greated time-based pedal in production.
The Nova Delay is also a killer delay, but is a toy in comparison. Any other delay is not an option for me anymore having owned both the Nove and Eventide.

KH Guitar Freak said:
therocker said:

If you can, just cough up the extra dough and buy yourself an Eventide Timefactor. Love mine... :mrgreen:
I just got a Timefactor and my Boss DD3 and DD6 are now just for home use!

well just an update, I'm buying a Eventide Timefactor! It's all around incredible!

thanks for the input.. and ideas.

Latest posts

Back