what could have happened?? (Rectifier Problem)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tubescreamer

Reaction score
Well I went into to warm up and play my tremoverb last night before our band's practice and turned it on only to have no sound coming out. I was bewildered as everything was plugged in correctly to my knowledge. It took me about 2 minutes of strumming and inspecting to go around to the back of the amp (what was I thinking??) to find that the cab had been unplugged from the head! I dont know how it exactly happened as I usually make sure it is in before I play but I wasnt exactly on top of it at the time.

Anyways, when I plugged it in it still worked but I noticed that the Modern was a whole mess of fizz and buzz, which is unusable and it didnt cut through the mix at all that night. I got a lot of chorusy phazy sounds coming out of it. I know that its really bad to have the cab disconnected from the head but is this the source of my problem or is it something else?

I would appreciate a fast responce because I need to play a show this weekend - thanks

I'm no expert but judging by your description of "chorusy phazy sounds " I'd suggest popping in a new 12ax7 into your PI slot.

Hey sorry for the late reply, but I think the amp was disconnected for a good 30 seconds to a minute before I realized the problem. I was strumming my guitar the whole time if that makes a difference.

strumminsix would it matter if I just swapped a 12ax7 from v5 or 4 with the 1 slot? Because I dont have any spare tubes. Boy I really hope this is just a tube problem and not an output tranny problem!

Alright will do. I know V1 is most important but which preamp tubes control channel 2 modern? (this is an older dual channel)

Tubescreamer said:
Alright will do. I know V1 is most important but which preamp tubes control channel 2 modern? (this is an older dual channel)

Check your block diagram. If you have a loop it may be buffered by a tube (half for each side)/. If that's the case I'd swap that tube with the one in your PI slot and bypass the loop if possible.

Back