What are the specs of the PRS HFS and Vintage Bass pups?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alejandro

Reaction score
Or point me to a website or PDF.

I absolutely cannot find any technical specs on these things. My intention is replace them with similar output pups, but... eh. They ain't similar to anything because I cannot find any info on them.

Thanks.

Elpelotero said:
birdsandmoons.com

the PRS forum. By the way, PRS doesn't publish their pickup specs

Thanks Elpelotero. I'm a member of every forum except that one! **** Top Secret Specs!

I agree with you platypus. The HFS and Vintage 30s: How much do you love ice-picks in yo ears?!

Any suggestions for a better HFS? That's one piece I can't seem to narrow down to a handful to buy and try.

Thanks,
Alejandro

Check out the Tremonti Treble pickup if you want to stick with PRS.. it's all the 'hot fast scream' of the HFS without the ridiculous treble icepick/spike and brittle mid tone. The Tremonti has a scooped mid nature to it but that's easily fixed via the amp if you're so inclined. I think it has great dynamics and it's hot as hell for a passive pup.

Pairs extremely well with the vintage bass or dragon II neck too.

The Dragon 1 is an amazing pickup. It has about all the same features as the HFS, but it is darker, meaning no ice pick in your ears. Out of all the pickups I've tried among PRS's, it is by far my favorite.

A few years ago PRS had some little charts on their website showing the characteristics of each pickups. They had 3 scales: warm, bright, and hot. Then they would assign a bar graph for each pickup on each scale.

The Dragon1 and HFS were equal except the part about the brightness.

If you want to stick with PRS pups and you like 'em hot you should try out the new 250. If you don't have a preference I would suggest the Seymour Duncan JB....great, well balanced pup with great output.

Platypus said:
Check out the Tremonti Treble pickup if you want to stick with PRS.. it's all the 'hot fast scream' of the HFS without the ridiculous treble icepick/spike and brittle mid tone. The Tremonti has a scooped mid nature to it but that's easily fixed via the amp if you're so inclined. I think it has great dynamics and it's hot as hell for a passive pup.

Pairs extremely well with the vintage bass or dragon II neck too.

Another vote, i got the Dragon II and the Tremonti treble. Don't be scared by the scooped mids at first, rolling back the tone control for lead work thickens it up alot, also bump those mids up a few notchs higher than you usually would.

One of the hottest passive pickups around, this thing just screams!

Latest posts

Back