What about Ei tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fatboy135 said:
the last opportunity before I declared my official war against ei :lol:
Why bother? You're sure wasting a lot of money, trying to avoid buying NOS tubes that are falsely rumored to be "too expensive." Some of us NOS snobs are posting information to actually try to help others save the effort and money spent on crappy-quality tubes. I guess everyone's got to travel their own path.

- T

Are these one also microphonic? or just don't you like them? Have they grey plates or silver plates?
I just not like that sound.
Which are the differences between nos tubes and regular tubes????
If you are a nos tubes you must to know that to be a real nos tube the tube must be cryogenized to keep in rest, were your tubes cryogenized???
I only knows walt disney frozen ;)

anyway I think that there is another matter, the matter of what are really nos valves.
In my point of view I think that there is two class of nos tubes.
The pseudo-nos tubes that they costs about 30-50 dollars, and the real Nos tubes they usually costs between 200-400 dollars each one
Which nos tubes are you using???
Check this link to see what I mean:
http://www.audiotubes.com/12ax7.htm

6. Are new tubes from Russia and China as good as old tubes?
Yes. No. Maybe. This is one of those questions that answering can be problematic, because the answer is up to your ears. There are many good tubes being produced right now, and every company in the business has had difficulties with certain types. This has led to a bum rap for an entire industry that works very hard to reproduce tubes from "the good old days". It's also true that people with a garage full of vintage tubes tend to think they sound better, no matter what they hear. Most modern amps are designed around current production tubes for the good reason that they know you will be able to re-tube your amp in the future, and so these modern designs tend to sound best with current tubes.

From thetubestore.com

Don't be fooled by price and packaging. I use the very best "NOS" (sometimes used ones, that test like new) that cost me less than you'd imagine:
Raytheon 12AX7A black-plate/halo-getter $8-$10 ea.
RCA 12AX7 black-plate for $10-15 ea.
RCA 12AX7 long gray-plate/square-getter for $1 (super lucky!)
GE 6681 for $17 ea.
Ken-Rad 12AX7 black-plate for $18 ea.
RFT ECC83 for $6-$12 ea.
Telefunken smooth-plate ECC83 less than $20 ea.
Tungsram ECC83 for $12-$15 ea.

Okay, I confess, I once spent up to $45 ea. for one of my favorites: Mullard long-plate/halo-getter 12AX7. But that's the most I've ever paid (I've gotten several for less than $20 ea.), and I've only been buying in the last five years.

My point is that if you learn what you're looking for, you can get it for less. Learn to identify the tubes, make sure they're properly tested, and shop around. Don't pay a premium for pristine paint/logo or boxes. Sure, you can pay A LOT, but you don't have to.

Oh, and don't buy that b.s. about amps being "designed around current-production tubes." You can always make a good amp sound better, to you, by optimizing it with better quality tubes. Can you imagine what kind of amp would have been designed for Ei tubes - a disposable one?

- T

fatboy135 said:
where are you buying them??'
EBay
fatboy135 said:
is any trick or treat method???
Know what the insides of the tubes look like, what manufacturer codes or other distinguishing features look like, and know how OEM tubes are typically rebranded. Study pictures from trusted dealers. Learn which sellers not to deal with.
fatboy135 said:
I can´t believe that a RCF costs 6 dollars
Another trick is to spell names correctly. :wink: Or be quick to bid on the poor seller who doesn't spell a name correctly.

- T

Back