Well, just got a Mark III, nice little story here :)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steviekool

Reaction score
Hey all, I registered on here a while ago, introducing myself being a new Mesa Express owner. I havent been around for a bit, "not that anyone would notice :)", but there is an interesting story, if anyone cares.

So I originally owned a Vox AC30 2x12 combo. Yeah, it had pretty cleans, but that was about it. It was great for about a year, with a pedal for gain, and then it suddenly died. Did all the basic things you can do, "tubes, fuses, ect..." and nothing worked. I Decided this is a good opportunity to give myself an excuse to get a new amp, and it was gonna be a Mesa!

I ended up selling the amp, "as is", for about $550. This is not bad considering I bought it new for $700, on a blowout deal at Sams *** a while ago. SO the $150 loss I consider a rental fee.

I ended up going to guitar center, playing a few Mesas, and figuring out what I can do with about $1100. The Express 1x12 25 watt combo was what I ended up with. It really had the nicest cleans I have heard, and a great blues tone through a Nash S57 strat. I do like my metal though too, and the burn channel just wasnt doing it, so I bought a metal muff, and that solved the issue.

I dont really get too much time to play, and when I do, I cherish it. You know, like work, family, a very sick father I am dealing with, along with some other things, just doesnt give you the time you had when you where a teenager, ya know?

So I had the Express for about 3 weeks, and only played with it like 3 times, briefly, an hour or 2. A day came that I had off from work, my wife was working, nothing on the agenda, and all I could look forward to was playing a good 6 hours or so at the volumes I wanted to play at. So, I grab my Jackson RR1 from 97, plug in, and.........Nothing. lights are on, I am getting the faintest little sound, even with volume at 10, but just something is wrong. I played with the plugs, swtiched guitars, still just this wierd, tinny low fi sound coming. At this point Im a little upset. I was running it in 5 watt mode, and said to myself, lets see what happens if I switch to 25 watt mode. I flip the switch, and BOOM!! sounded like a bomb when off!!

So, I turned it off, called guitar center, "I must say, they where great through the whole experience", grabbed the receipt, and returned it.

I know I probably could have troubleshooted a bit, maybe switched tubes, or whatever, but to be honest, I just wasnt trying to do that with a brand new amp. I shouldnt be having any issues. In the back of my mind, I keep telling myself, they just dont build them like they used too. Not Mesa in particular, just anything, cars, appliances, food, whatever, quality control is out the window, work pride has been lost, but thats a whole other topic I dont want to get into, "The most dreaded thing I hate seeing on anything, is when there is a little sticker that says, "new and Improved". that means its gone down the toilet, in my experiences"

So, I got this money to play with at Guitar center, and messed around with a few amps. For some reason, I ended up coming home with a Line 6 spider valve 2x12 combo. Read a few good things on them, also, some bad, but I figured Let me give it a shot, it could be fun. Valves, + amp modeling +effects could be cool.

This was fun. For about 2 days. Its funny, No matter what guitar you plug into that amp, you get the same sounds, no matter what. Pure processed sound. I mean, its got a little bit of "tubiness" in it, but they shouldnt have used the spider technology for a valve amp made by bogner. At least they should have bumped up the preamp to a fextone or go crazt and through in that power amp section into a Vetta, but that would probably cost like $3000. So, back to the store it went. This time, I got my money back, as there was nothing left in there that interested me.

Next day, went to my friends house, and he has a Combo Recotverb. **** what a difference from that Line 6!! "obviously, right!" I grew up in the 80's, and loved the 80's music and tone, "Yeah so what!! say what you want, but in the last 3 weeks, I saw Def Leppard, Poison, Judas Priest and Whitesnake, and they where all freakin awesome!" Thats what Im into. Along with some Blues, and cleans, for taste :)

I figured, you know what? I want an 80's tone, so maybe I should research me some 80's amps! Thats what I did, for a couple of weeks, and decided on a Mark III. I picked up a nice little custom combo, here are the details: This was a 1988 blue stripe long head, with all the options, "simulclass, EQ, Reverb on the front, fan, everything! The head was converted and put into a Widebody Mark IV combo, that looks practically brand new, with the EV speaker. So in essence, I may have one of a few MarK III widebody combos in existence, "not braggin, just saying :)" The whole thing looks like it just came out of the factory, inside and out, mint. MAybe I payed a bit too much, $1100, but whatever:

THIS IS THE SOUND I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR!!! Absolutely frewaking amazing!! I got it set up where I can switch all 3 channels and have great saturated leads, nice, old school marshall crunch on rhythm 2, and killer cleans on rhythm 1, without touching any of the controls, just switching channels. For the clean though, I need to lower my guitar volume about half, and its perfect!! Awesome old school build quality, built like a tank, and truly the greatest tones I have had the pleasure of having in my bedroom.

So there you have it. Had a little time on my hands, and felt like sharing my story. If any of you are still with me, I have one question.

I am looking to buy a footswitch, something like that voodooman all in one switch, but I have heard nothing but horror stories from him, so I am pretty hesitant. Does anyone know of any other custom footswitch dealers or builders that you can recommend for me? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading!!

Nice story.

I grew up in the 80's as well. I Would have skipped Poison, but I would have seen Def Leppard and have seen both Priest and Whitesnake in the 80's.

I know when I first plugged into my Mark IV and fiddled with the controls for a bit, there was this momment like "There it is". It is that moment when you finally hear that sound that has been in your head for so long, but it is coming out of your amp.

Sykes used the Mark III on the Whitesnake self titled album, so if that's what you are into, you got it!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mesa-Boogie-Mark-III-Blue-Stripe-SimulClass-Combo-WOW_W0QQitemZ200362792871QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2ea68d97a7&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A13%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50#ht_500wt_1182

Theres the link to the listing, that ended after I bought it. Hope its not illegal to post links. If it doesnt work, let me know, as my camera is a bit on the junk side :)

So you're the one got that widebody! Congrats. Hey, I use a Boss FS-6 (or two) for my Mark III. Heard nothing but bad about VooDooMan. You will not see your money again.

i too had that Mark III revelation. I have 2. for some things my LSC is just great, but i LOVE the Mark III in class A mode - 15 watts ... perfect.

from the footswitch perspective - i am in the same boat. i liked the voodooman approach, and i think anyone who actually received their switches is probably happy with them. the approach and length of delivery time if ever is unacceptable. someone else is putting different switches on the Bay. could be the same guy - if the got his head out of his *** he would have a nice little side business.

i am making a separate mini pedal board for the Mark III switches and cables. I will just deal with it until I get a reputable combo switch.

Thanks for the reply guys!

MrMarkIII, Im gonna look into that footswitch, seems like a good deal if it does what I want for $50. Am I seeing it right, as it will be just fine for just switching channels in the amp? How do you have your set up, and what do you use it for, and does it work flawlessly? Thanks in advance for the answers.

RV, I here ya about the voodooman, glad I didnt buy anything from him. I actually contact the guy that is selling his footswitches on the 'bay, and this was last week, and havfent heard from him. All I asked him was if he actually has these in stock, and would they be shipped out right away. I guess its a tough question to answer :|

As far as the amp goes, more and more I play it, the more I feel I made the right move, I absolutely love it. I just ordered the Mesa Slip cover from there store last week, and it will be here on Thursday, you know, just to keep the dust off :)

steviekool said:
Thanks for the reply guys!

MrMarkIII, Im gonna look into that footswitch, seems like a good deal if it does what I want for $50. Am I seeing it right, as it will be just fine for just switching channels in the amp? How do you have your set up, and what do you use it for, and does it work flawlessly? Thanks in advance for the answers.
Yep, it works great. Downside is it uses a 9 volt or adapter. But you can set the LED to be "ON" when you go to Lead, rather than the stock Mesa pedal "OFF" (Red = Rhythm). And the LED is visible outdoors, unlike the stock Mesa pedal.
I use one FS-6 to switch R1 to Lead, and switch to R2. With a stereo (TRS) cable, another FS-6 can be used to switch the Graphic and Reverb.

steviekool said:
THIS IS THE SOUND I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR!!! Absolutely frewaking amazing!! I got it set up where I can switch all 3 channels and have great saturated leads, nice, old school marshall crunch on rhythm 2, and killer cleans on rhythm 1, without touching any of the controls, just switching channels. For the clean though, I need to lower my guitar volume about half, and its perfect!! Awesome old school build quality, built like a tank, and truly the greatest tones I have had the pleasure of having in my bedroom.

So there you have it. Had a little time on my hands, and felt like sharing my story. If any of you are still with me, I have one question . . . I am looking to buy a footswitch

cool reading bro!

welcome to the III's Mob :D and glad you nail on the spot how to set those babies right exaclty how you describe it (especially to lower the guitar volume onr Rhy1), unfortunately some fellas dont get it and blame it on the amp :(

and we should call us "The 80's Gang" - well maybe not :p . those are superb amps and very reliable, mine (also a blue fully loaded) has been to nasty shitholes to great theatres to open gigs and so on and it tame them'all with ease. this beast sounds great even at bedroom volumes. love the class "A" setting. wondering how yours sounds on that cab . . .

as for footswitching, im using this right now

MarkIIIFootswitch006.jpg

it's a custom made switch made by my amp tech. if you like it send me a pm and we see what we can do :)

Nice story.

I grew up in the 80's as well. I Would have skipped Poison, but I would have seen Def Leppard and have seen both Priest and Whitesnake in the 80's.

i grew up in the 80's as well... i saw Whitesnake open for motley crue in '87 at Broome County Arena in Binghamton NY front row...great great show !

boogieslayer said:
Nice story.

i grew up in the 80's as well... i saw Whitesnake open for motley crue in '87 at Broome County Arena in Binghamton NY front row...great great show !

Wow, I also saw Whitesnake open up for Motley Crue in 87 at the Providence Civic center in Rhode Island.

Great concert!

primal said:
boogieslayer said:
Nice story.

Wow, I also saw Whitesnake open up for Motley Crue in 87 at the Providence Civic center in Rhode Island.

Great concert!

Was John Sykes still with the band at that time? It is a grey area. Not to take anything away from Vandenberg or Campbell, they are awesome players. Sykes is one of my guitar heroes. 8)

Vigo1999 said:
steviekool said:

So there you have it. Had a little time on my hands, and felt like sharing my story. If any of you are still with me, I have one question . . . I am looking to buy a footswitch

cool reading bro!

welcome to the III's Mob :D and glad you nail on the spot how to set those babies right exaclty how you describe it (especially to lower the guitar volume onr Rhy1), unfortunately some fellas dont get it and blame it on the amp :(

and we should call us "The 80's Gang" - well maybe not :p . those are superb amps and very reliable, mine (also a blue fully loaded) has been to nasty sh!t to great theatres to open gigs and so on and it tame them'all with ease. this beast sounds great even at bedroom volumes. love the class "A" setting. wondering how yours sounds on that cab . . .

as for footswitching, im using this right now

MarkIIIFootswitch006.jpg

it's a custom made switch made by my amp tech. if you like it send me a pm and we see what we can do :)
Pm'd!! And a big +1 on the settings stuff, some just don't get it. Now that I think about it, +1 on the 80's stuff too lol, love me some mean *** 80's metal/thrash :twisted:

primal said:
I know when I first plugged into my Mark IV and fiddled with the controls for a bit, there was this momment like "There it is". It is that moment when you finally hear that sound that has been in your head for so long, but it is coming out of your amp.

The thing I love about mesa's is the fact that the first time you dial in a cool sound and think "There it is, the sound I've been after" is just the tip of the iceberg. A few moments later, you make a slight change and you get that rush all over again.

Congrats on a nice wide chassis Mark III. Looks great! Well, I am actually supposed to look at a heavily damaged Mark IV, and see if it can be salvage, and bought at a reasonable price. wish me luck! Hopefully I can join the Mark Mafia soon...

Free bump for a great story on a great amp.

I'm definitely watching this thread for more foot-switch wisdom. I too have wanted a VoodooMan switch for my T-Verb....but have been too turned off by his shady business practices. It's really strange how Mesa chooses to ignore the pedal needs of so many of their models. (I'd let them kill me on the price of a good foot-switch!)

I'm currently using the little/single Mesa switch for my channel switching, and a little Morley switch (RFS2) for the reverb. Running 2 separate cords to 2 dinky switches seems so silly on such a great amp!

i grew up in the 80's as well... i saw Whitesnake open for motley crue in '87 at Broome County Arena in Binghamton NY front row...great great show ![/quote]

Great concert![/quote]

I saw this same tour at Alpine Valley in Wisconsin. Great tour!

Thanks for all the kind words peoples! I appreciate it :)

Vigo, that looks like the mother of all footswitches, absolutley amazing! PM sent!

As for all the nostalgia going on, I'm going to see Ratt next month, where they are playing the "out of the cellar" album in its entirety. Can't wait!

All Pm's replied, looks like my amp tech will be very buzy for some weeks :D

and yes, for the 80's stuff, which words can best describe seeing Whitesnake (w/ Sykes AND Powell rip) then Ozzy w/ Jake with Ac/Dc closing the gig with 250.000 fellas at Rock in Rio 85'?? 8)

Back