weird question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalhead51105

Reaction score
researching some live videos of thrice on you tube i recognized that the guys placed their cabs on their sides such that the casters were on the side and the side on the floor. now here's my weird question. would doing such cause a different sound since the cab walls itself were for a lack of better term grounded? would this allow for more bass response? since there is no empty space between the cab and floor?

possibly...my intuition would tell me that if it's a slanted cab, there would be less surface area on the floor and perhaps not as much bass response?

It's also possible the internal dimensions of the cab are designed to be project best when set up straight.

If they're doing it, it must be for a good reason. They obviously know the cab is on its side.

It could just be they don't have locking casters on them and they don't want them to roll away (yes, I've seen it happen, and have had it happen as well).

ToneAddictJon said:
It could just be they don't have locking casters on them and they don't want them to roll away (yes, I've seen it happen, and have had it happen as well).

Same here. Playing on unlevel floor sucks sometimes.

They might do it for the visual effect as well? It is definitely something that catches your eye when you see a cab sitting crooked or laying on its side.

There also might be a different bass response. Not sure though.

It's an old Punk Rock club trick. One, you just pull your cab up on the stage and slide it to the wall. Two, the slant of the top is aimed to the center of the stage so the sound is filling up the stage at a different angle. You did this because a lot of clubs back in the day didn't mic the guitars or bass.

Latest posts

Back