Was about to sell MKV.. Until I tried EL34's!!!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adambomb

Reaction score
Ok, so it's been a love-hate relationship with the Mark V for the past 2 years.

Now I have gotten many many great tones out of this amp for the last 2 years, especially Ch 1, but there always seemed to be something missing in the "girth" and balls department in Ch 2 & 3 with 6L6's. I've even tried SED 6L6's, Ruby 6L6's, and EH 6L6's. The =C='s sounded the best as far as 6L6's, but just still wasn't 100% satisfied (I'm very picky with tone as most you are too). I am an amp tweaker... I have tweaked this amp to all ends and every possible settings for ch 2 & 3 and got some good usable tones from the 6L6's, but always just missed something. I had pretty much decided to sell the V about 2 months ago but just hadn't got around to it.

Well, two weeks ago I pulled out a set of old EH EL34's and though why not. Kinda crazy I never thought of throwing them in there sooner, but from my experience I've always thought Mesas sounded best with 6L6's. I do all tone tests at stage volume so I blast the amps for short periods of time to really see whatever I add or take away, or mod to my gear is going to sound great live on stage. And speaking of playing live, I never was fully satisfied with Channel 2 at full volume at gigs, it sounded pretty dull and lifeless. So the night before a gig 2 weeks ago I (flip the bias switch) throw these EL34's in there... crank it up... and WWWWOOOOOOOWWWWW. WAY BETTER FOR MY EARS. I can actually get some better hard and classic rock tones better. When I think EL34's I think middy, and not enough low end (as far as Mesas go), but not the case with them in the V. It made Ch1 a little more compressed, lost some sweetness in the top end, but not much. Ch 2 and 3 were the biggest best improvement. Sounds so much more full, cutting, gain is more complex and smoother. Channel 3 MK4 and Extreme mode had richer more Plexi type gain. With 6L6's I never could get the extreme mode to sound as full and round as I wanted it too with 6l6's, but with the EL'34 and alot of EQing to both preset and sliders.... I can get one of THE best crunchy rich distortion sounds that reminds me of half way between a Marshall and Mesa. During our show last Friday I was more pleased with my tone than I have been since I've owned the MKV.

I could go on and on... but all I'm trying to say is, if you think Ch2 is a little dull and want more punchy gain, and if you want Ch.3 to have a little more richer gain with tighter bass, then give EL34's a try. Next I'm gonna try and get me some SED =C= EL34's, I've heard they were the best current EL34 in current production. I know the SED 6L6's were my favorite 6L6, so the EL34's gotta rip.

Oh and one question... the EL34's have a plate current(ma) of 33 on each tube, is that around Mesa specs for the Mark V? I took them out of an old Recto years ago so I figure they were within tube specs for all Mesas. Thanks

I use EL34s in my mark V too, and agree with your results. I like the extreme mode much better with the EL34s. What preamp tubes are you using?

flimz said:
I use EL34s in my mark V too, and agree with your results. I like the extreme mode much better with the EL34s. What preamp tubes are you using?

Well right now I'm using TunSol 12ax7 in V1, a High Gain Penta Labs in V2, and the rest stock JJ's. Yea extreme mode was great even with 6L6's, but with 34's it brings out that low mid frequency that I always thought was missing in that mode.

I agree with pretty much everything you say, although I prefer 6L6s for some reason. It's defiantly worth trying as it gives the amp a different vibe.

Hello from England.
Er you chaps are really confusing me.
If you want the Mk V to sound like a vastly over hyped plexi Marshall from over here with all the inherent transformer blow-out problems - the nasally mid honk and the sheer unreliability of the behemoth on the gig then why not buy one of the bloody things - you can only buy a seriously hot-rodded one at eye-watering expense over here - so Lord knows what you must be paying Stateside - a Fractal will give you the wretched thing at the push of an equally overpriced button.
For heaven's sake rejoice in the best amplifier yet produced - and yes we are green with envy over here that we can't get near Mr Smith's creations - tweak the blessed thing and all tones are possible and don't try to recreate a myth - Gibson Moderne anyone ?

ave said:
Hello from England.
Er you chaps are really confusing me.
If you want the Mk V to sound like a vastly over hyped plexi Marshall from over here with all the inherent transformer blow-out problems - the nasally mid honk and the sheer unreliability of the behemoth on the gig then why not buy one of the bloody things - you can only buy a seriously hot-rodded one at eye-watering expense over here - so Lord knows what you must be paying Stateside - a Fractal will give you the wretched thing at the push of an equally overpriced button.
For heaven's sake rejoice in the best amplifier yet produced - and yes we are green with envy over here that we can't get near Mr Smith's creations - tweak the blessed thing and all tones are possible and don't try to recreate a myth - Gibson Moderne anyone ?

Dude what in the WORLD are you talking about. Who said anything about wanting their V to sound like a Marshall Plexi? Understood about 3/4 of what u said, but only about 1/4 made sense. Lol. You chaps are hyped up huh..

I've tried both and can't really decide. I want to try my JJ KT77's instead of stock mesa tubes for my markV head and 2x12 cab. Question is, on eurotubes website he states that the impedance is closer matched to 6l6's but I thought they were more of the el34 family? So which bias setting should I run the switch on my amp?

EL34's bring the CRUNCH.

The Marks love them in the power section. Great for really making these amps 'sing' and cut real nice.

Zakkmylde said:
I've tried both and can't really decide. I want to try my JJ KT77's instead of stock mesa tubes for my markV head and 2x12 cab. Question is, on eurotubes website he states that the impedance is closer matched to 6l6's but I thought they were more of the el34 family? So which bias setting should I run the switch on my amp?

I tried a quad of JJ KT77 last night in my Mark V head on the EL34 bias setting. Sounded great! As stated before, the clean channel takes a bit of a hit, but channel 2 and 3 sounded great. Really smoothed out the highs and brought in a nice creamy mid range.

I've recently installed GT EL34M's with excellent results. Smooths out some of the higher gain brittleness I used to get with =C='s in MK4 mode

Any GT tube rated within their 4 - 7 range drops right into the Mesa bias spec. Mine are 6's

Back