Want some opinions on new tubes.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bucker_of_hum

Reaction score
hello everyone. I've had a Mini Rectifier for a while now, and I'm getting ready to replace the tubes. (They are beginning to become faulty) Are there any tube recommendations I should look at or should I stick to standard replacement. I play a lot of medium gain stuff and sometimes distortion tones (nothing too crazy). Oh almost forgot, It uses EL84s and 12AX7's. Thanks a bunch. :mrgreen:

If you want to keep your warranty intact, use the mesa tubes. I did add an adjustable bias circuit myself so that I could use a box full of NOS and new production 6BQ5s I have acquired over the years. I find that the tonal differences are not that big or any better despite some claim that they are significant. An amplifier design plays a far more important role when it comes to tone shaping. If I were you I would buy a set of mesa tubes. You can also buy mesa rated tubes from various tube sellers. I think the mini rectifier sounds great regardless of what tubes you use. As for preamp tubes, a Tung-Sol in V1 slot sounded great.

Latest posts

Back