V30 or G12H30 or Reaper HP in 1x12 with ROV - follow up

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyber104

Reaction score
Hi All:

Just wanted to report back on my testing of different speakers in my 1x12 "home built" cabinet that I use with my Rectoverb. All my testing impressions were done with the 'modern' high gain setting. I did run each speaker clean also but frankly, to my ears, they all sounded about the same clean.

Celestion G12H30 70th Anniversary 30 watt - Impression: Very well rounded and articulate. Works very nicely in my Blackstar HT Stage 60 2x12 combo when paired with a Celestion V30. Does not generate the the bass "thump" that I was looking for in my 1x12 cabinet.

WGS Reaper HP 50 watt - Recommended by fellow forum member - Impression: Very well rounded and articulate. Perhaps a bit better than the G12H30 and handles more wattage. When cranked in the 1x12 cabinet with both a Dual Rec and a Rectoverb it roars! This would probably be a great speaker to pair with V30's in a 4x12 cabinet. Works very nicely in my Blackstar HT Stage 60 2x12 combo when paired with a Celestion V30. Generates more bass "thump" than the G12H30.

Celestion V30 60 watt Made in China - Impression: For my "home built" cabinet this speaker just sounds GREAT. I can't attest to how it might sound in other 1x12 cabinets but in mine it's giving me the "thump" that I'm looking for as well as really nice articulation. When tested side by side with a Rectifier 2x12 cabinet the difference is almost inaudible. It produces about 80% of the bass the 2x12 cabinet does with 2/3 the size and weight.

So there you have it. It's by no means scientific - just my seat of the pants impressions with my particular cabinet.

Hope this is useful.
Chris

Latest posts

Back