using effects loop in stereo?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Midi is one thing I have not invested in (yet).

As Dom stated, most of the amps that are not midi capable can be used with a midi controlled unit which is nothing more than a bank of relays. Some amps like the Mark V, Roadster, MWDR, and some others have several jacks on the back side that are designed to be used with controlled relay units. That way you have the ability to select channel, or other features that are switchable with a relay (on/off by shorting the ring to tip = on, open circuit = off). I believe at one point RJM had a gizmo thing that would interface with the Mark V footswitch connection and I assume was a midi capable control.

Amps that have their own internal Midi processor can be interfaced with external midi controllers. In the simplest form, Program Change number is just a recall of stored settings. It seems very easy to setup. The more complex form is the Control Change message as this is a continuous stream of messages.

If I had a multitude of specific effects and such, a midi controller would be ideal as that will allow you to bring in some FX, and if so equipped to change their function if it is a multi feature unit. Midi also allows you to change amp channels simultaneously so there is no pedal fest activity going on. Who wants to tap dance while playing guitar?

One of these days I may get into the midi gear. That would be cool thing to have. I am just using my setup to create a stereo field effect and just let my fingers do all the talking without having the need to change channels or switch to different effects. The BigSky does have a full midi interface so I could make use of that in a big way. Also, would clean up the floor as I would not need to keep FX units there, they could be in a tray or somewhere else.

Don set up a really cool stereo rig with two TC-100s. That is how the pros do it. I am just a novice at this.

The best advise I got (from a regional touring guitar tech) was “when starting with MIDI keep it as simple as possible. Yea, it’s great to have control of every single parameter of your rig, but do you really need to? Start with the basics of what you NEED, and be sure to leave room to grow with what you WANT”.

Best advise ever.

Back