Used LSS came with NOS Mesa Rectifier Tube

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got a used 1x12 LSS two weeks ago. It was in mint condition. I looked at the tubes and they were all Mesa brand. Today I took out the rectifier tube to take a closer look, and it has Phillips JAN 5Y3 tube - has the JAN designation in blue ink across the brown base, with a Mesa badge on the glass. Does anyone know if this is an genuine NOS tube? I assumed when I bought this amp after reading this board that I would be getting a NOS tube to avoid the rectifier/fuse blowing problems these amps are known for. Does Mesa now only use the more rubust NOS tubes in the Lonestar?

I found this Mesa Tube Guide which says the NOS 5Y3 is used in the LSS
http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/TubeReference/TubeRefGuide-06.pdf

Thanks.

That's a genuine NOS JAN Phillips that you have. Mesa sold Mesa-branded NOS 5Y3's for a while before "running out" of them according to the Mesa rep I talked to a few years back.

Your link says that the Mesa 5Y3 is a "true, authentic 5Y3 NOS (New Old Stock) equivalent" with "equivalent" being the key word. That "equivalent" is a Mesa branded Sovtek that has proven itself NOT to be equivalent to a true NOS tube.

In any event, the genuine NOS tube will last you a good while. When you do replace it, or want a spare, make sure you get a genuine NOS 5Y3, not the Mesa equivalent.

Latest posts

Back