Update on 10W setting.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldTelecasterMan

Reaction score
I had posted that I was going to be doing a dinner job and trying out the 10W setting on all the channels. First here is my setup. Mark V with two 2x12 Mesa cabs. Effects loop runs to a couple of Carbon Copy pedals and then a Boss CE2 stereo Chorus. I send one side of the chorus back to the Mark V and to one of the 2x12 cabs. Then the other side of the chorus to a 150 watt Yamaha power amp and to the other 2x12 cab. My personal opinion, my chorus pedal sounds clearer if it is run in true stereo. To me the chorus sounds mushy if I use it in mono.

I adjusted the amp for extremely low volume levels. As low as it was they asked us to turn down even more. We were whisper quiet, well we were turned down lower than I had ever played. Everything went well with the 10W setting on all channels and my guitar sounded very nice. The cleans were awesome as usual, nice and big but even in the 10W setting the drive channels worked very well. No amp guitar interaction but it worked very well at the very low setting.

The place we played didn't advertise so it wasn't packed. We were contracted to play 3 hours. We ended up playing for 3.5 hours. This was an outdoors patio job at a restaurant. Here is the cool part, nobody left. People were eating dinner when we got there. We setup and they didn't leave until we were done.

So I'm going to explore more into the 10W setting.

Thanks for the report. One question. Did you use full power or variac power mode? I find for low, low volumes that the variac mode makes channels 2 and 3 sound more full.

I used full power. I wish I would have thought about using one then then other and compared them. I will check that out this weekend. I have another job that I could use what ever power setting I want as it is a big hall. My thought was to push the low setting and see how it works. I will check both full and variac power modes.

Tried both variac and full power. Due to the size of the venue the volume was up quite a bit more than last weeks whisper quiet job. The variac didn't seem to work for me as well as full power. This may seem odd but I could actually feel a delay in the picking attack. Also with the clean channel I had to adjust the drive and volume as it started over driving a bit when I opened up the volume on the guitar. So all in all the 10W setting when pushed didn't have the attack that I prefer. The variac power setting didn't snap into action when doing solos. In this three piece band I have lots of lead solos.

So 10W setting at very low volume works very well. Once I start pushing the clean I will need to switch to at least the 45W setting if not 90W. The drives worked ok so I will just feel out what I need and when.

PS. I really love the amp opened up 90W on all channels rather than using the lower settings.

Back