Unlocked my channel 3...finally!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LesPaul70

Reaction score
Band jam yesterday...the V was my main amp. (I also brought my IIc+ as a backup in case the V had a tube failure; never needed it though.)

I've had my V since 2010...a little over 4 years, that is. And, I'm ashamed to admit, the channel 3 has always, until now, more or less eluded me. :oops: I've tried different settings, different cabs, different tubes and so on, and never been quite satisfied with the tone at band volume. It's always been a bit too bright, or too boxy, or too mushy, or too smooth, or too whatever, just not working for me. As a consequence, I've spent much more time on channels 1 and 2, and been very happy with them.

Then...

Yesterday, I did what people often recommend here: adjusted the amp with my ears, not with my eyes. I guess that until then I had fallen into the trap of trying to recreate or emulate the tone of my IIc+ by matching the settings as closely as I could and then adjusting when it got 'too something'.
Not so yesterday. I decided not to try to sound like the IIc+ and instead just sound good. It took me 1 or 2 songs on somewhat less than ideal sounds before I finally hit it. The kind of dream sound I know I always wanted my V to make. Heavy, authoritative thump, biting crunch and enough cut. Once I found it, there was no looking back. I used that sound for almost all of our songs, save one or two softer ones, where channels 1 and 2 served better. And couldn't be happier! It makes the Mark I mode (that used to be my go-to sound on the V) sound soft and small, by comparison.

My settings? Fairly basic. From memory - Channel 3, Extreme mode, 90W, Pentode, Bright switch on, Gain a little past noon, Presence somewhat rolled back (9-10 o'clock), Treble opened up (3 o'clock), Middle and Bass ~10 o'clock. GEQ: the middle slider rolled almost all the way down (more than enough cut still!), the top frequency slider up 3/4, the other sliders slightly above the middle.
Svetlana =C= EL-34s.

I'm in love with my V again.
Rock on! 8)

LesPaul70 said:
Yesterday, I did what people often recommend here: adjusted the amp with my ears, not with my eyes

I'm in love with my V again.
Rock on! 8)

Cool

My journey with the V has been similar over the 4 years I have owned it. Until I used ears more than eyes, matching settings to guitars / pups from zero rather than from noon. Bingo - and still learning ..

Yeah definitely use your ears instead of your eyes. When i used my V during live, I may make some minor tweaks here and there to tailor my sound. I think it sounds great when you crank it live.

Back