unloading your amps capacitors

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billboogie

Reaction score
Can anyone explain to me how to do this. I want to clean cobwebs from the chassis but I don't want to die :shock: I have read warnings from you folks about this (Thank god for Grailtone or I may have done the deed already) Also, What would be proper air preasure to blow out the chassis without destroying anything. Any help on this is much appreiciated. Thank You

I wouldn't use an air compressor. Use a can of electronics spray duster. But if you want to use an air compressor, don't get the nozzle too close and you should be fine. Just don't touch any of the components and you won't get shocked.

If you leave the standby switch on after you turn off power, that should drain the energy from the caps in a few minutes. If you have a multimeter, which I suspect you don't, you can just measure the voltage on the big caps to be sure. But the bottom line, if you're just dusting the circuit board, don't worry. Just don't start poking around with your fingers, and you will be fine.

I have access to a multimeter so I will check it just to be sure. I will be pulling the chassis and I feel better about it now after researching a bit further. Thank you very much for your help. I feel I can now tackle this properly without hurting me or the amp.

Typically they 'should' dissipate inside of 30 minutes of being unplugged. You could even go so far as to plug in a guitar cord and turn both power and stand-by on to ensure this.

Latest posts

Back